sun dolphin 120

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snooker

Reaction score
new to the site. would like any feedback, experiences anyone has about this boat. Also would like to know if a 9.9 4 stroke mercury would be enough muscle for 2 guys fishing? Thanks.........Brian

It seems that a 9.9 would be fine for that boat. It's rated for 15hp but maybe you're wanting to stay below 10hp for restricted lakes. Mind if I ask why this and not an aluminum jon boat? Is this the one you're thinking about?

sun120.jpg

I love the sun dolphin boat. If I was gonna get a plastic boat, it would be the one. But I have a lot less money tied up in my jonboat.

Thanks for the responses guys. Haven't ruled a jon boat out, but I like alot of the sun dolphin features. I do alot of flyfishing here in south florida and i like the width and stability of the sun dolphin and the casting deck..............snooker.

After a 10 min. search on Craig's list South Fla. 14ft Jon boat 6hp motor trailer trolling motor life jackets etc. 1200 bucks. Your package 4-5 grand. Nice outfit but that's a lot of cash not to be able to walk around in your boat. 1200 bucks another 1500 bucks for a sharp looking tin boat and you're still ahead. You can make it a fly-fishing special with removable leaning posts and stripping baskets and climb in/out steps-ladder for wading just all kinds of things.

snooker,

After a couple of years with a boat like that, the decks start to warp and the boats start to take on water. Allot quicker if you use it allot.

I think that for the same money (or less) you could get a larger aluminum Jon. I paid $1100 for a brand new Tracker 1542 Jon that is stable enough for fly fishing and got a used trailer that cost me about $700 after I completely rebuit it. That's a really decent boat and trailer for less than $2K.

Don't get me wrong, the concept is perfect and the layout is great, but once the plastic starts to warp from the sun and use It will be really hard if not impossible to fix.

Once you factor in the cost of the boat, motor, trailer, you are talking 2500-5k.

Latest posts