What to fill dents on gunwale with?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick James

Reaction score
So I was planning on applying a couple of coats of Skid No More last weekend, after filling and sanding down a couple of dents in the gunwale.

I tried to fill the dents with JB Weld Waterweld, but now (4 days later) the stuff still isn't hard on the areas where it was applied thicker. Some of these dents are probably 1/2" thick in some spots, and I really want them filled in and sanded down so when I apply the Skid No More, I can bring it up and over the gunwhales and have it look clean. I'm guessing the Waterweld isn't meant to be applied that thick. I'll have to wire wheel off, and start over I guess.

Anyone have suggestions on something that will dry hard as a rock, sand down well, and will also let me apply something like Skid No More over the top after dry and sanded?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Rick James said:
So I was planning on applying a couple of coats of Skid No More last weekend, after filling and sanding down a couple of dents in the gunwhale.

I tried to fill the dents with JB Weld Waterweld, but now (4 days later) the stuff still isn't hard on the areas where it was applied thicker. Some of these dents are probably 1/2" thick in some spots, and I really want them filled in and sanded down so when I apply the Skid No More, I can bring it up and over the gunwhales and have it look clean. I'm guessing the Waterweld isn't meant to be applied that thick. I'll have to wire wheel off, and start over I guess.

Anyone have suggestions on something that will dry hard as a rock, sand down well, and will also let me apply something like Skid No More over the top after dry and sanded?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Use the jb metal weld putty, its much better.

To me if you are not worried about water proofing it there is no need to use the waterweld. The metalweld worked great for me on the back of my alluminum transom and some of the areas where deep and large. i just filled the holes with silicon and covered them with the metal weld.

I posted this where you asked before, but here it is again: https://www.handsontools.com/USC-14060-ALL-METAL-Premium-Aluminum-Filled-Filler-quart_p_10762.html

Has worked wonders before, sands easily and will look great with the right prep and the right paint.

Latest posts