I have a somewhat stupid question. (Aircraft stripper)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Codeman

Reaction score
Everyone and their brother has told me to put aircraft stripper on my boat and then power wash it off. Here comes the dumb question, Will it kill my grass? LOL Best place I have to do it is in my back yard. I have enough trouble growing grass I'd hate to kill what little I have.

yah...I think the tarp would work, and I don't think you need to pressure wash it off, which would keep blasting the chemical around your lawn. I think you just need a plastic putty knife. Once 99% of the stripper/paint sludge has been removed with the putty knife, then I'd hit it with the pressure washer.

I say this not having any first hand experience with the stuff.

Well a tarp or a drop cloth is an idea, but remember my but is kinda big. LOL I have had more than one person tell me to use the pressure washer, one of the guys polishes aluminum boats as a side job and they turn out sweet. He said the aircraft stripper does double duty taking off the paint and etching the aluminum all at once. Also as thin as the paint on my boat is I probably won't have much to scrape off. Well I suppose I can move down in the driveway I hate grass growing in my chat anyway. LOL

i started using a putty knife on mine and that was slow and if you happened to fling some up on ur arm (or in my case my face) it can be very irritating... thats when i traded my knife in for a pressure washer! mine actually bubbled up and came off in small sheets. i picked up most of the big ones. i did mine in a chat area in my backyard and the only thing i can say about that is put your boat on some saw horses or something. mine sat really low to the ground when i did it and id accidentally hit the chat and spray mud everywhere! also, use some saran wrap over it to keep it moist.

go to one of those do it yourself car wash's :wink:

you kill 2 birds with one stone, clean boat and easy to clean the area up by just washing the old paint into the drain

Loggerhead Mike said:

you kill 2 birds with one stone, clean boat and easy to clean the area up by just washing the old paint into the drain

Not really an option with my boat. It would be impossible to unload it and there is now way I am leaving it on the trailer.

Loggerhead Mike said:

Also, down here (at least around where I live) there are signs in each bay that state criminal charges for dumping any chemical other than that which is served in the drain at the carwash. I assume air craft stripper would be one of those.

I used ultra strip when I did mine and the grass grows like crazy where I striped my boat. Like the grass grows twice as fast there verses any place else.

Well after reading the label, I don't think that I will worry a ton about the grass. It is water soluble so hopefully it will dilute down to next to nothing when all is said and done. Ironically even though called Aircraft Paint Remover in great big letters on the label what does it say? DO NOT USE ON AIRCRAFT :lol:

Latest posts