Alumaweld

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nevillizer

Reaction score
I have beed experimenting with Alumaweld trying to get the nack of it. Was gonna include it in our DIY video on boat restoration / modification but I cant seem to get the stuff to take. I have "tinned" the surface. Cleaned of the slag. Then re heat surface then apply rod. I just can't get it to bond. It just beads and rolls of.

Would really like to use it in video since it is all about doing it youself with only common tools and basic skills. Anyone have some suggestions?

I have had good luck with it. Use a wire brush preferably stainless, clean it really well. Heat the rod to where it starts to melt, then smear it around. It may be to hot if its just rolling off. I just rapaired a 6" by 1/4" gash in my boat where it rubbed through on a bad roller. This stuff really does work, but you will go through a rods very fast. Practice on a beer can, you'll get it.

I'll give it another whirl. Was able to get it to fill a couple smal screw hole but when I grinded them flush it just chipped off. I'll work with it some more see if I can get to work.

I've never used that stuff, but I would guess that you are getting the rod hot, and not the work piece. In TIG welding, Oxy-fuel welding, soldering, etc, the goal is to get the work hot enough that it melts the rod, not the torch. I can't imagine this being much different. In any of the three, putting too much flame heat on the rod will cause it to bead and roll away. Also, one that was melted on with flame heat and not work piece heat will likely be poorly bonded to the base metal. Try heating the metal further before adding filler rod.

I was heating the surface not the rod. Didn't seem to work out very well. I tried every trick that I know. I'm going to continue to experiment with it a few more times. If it doesn't work out we'll just leave it our of the video.

That's too bad, I have been using aluminum rods from Harbor Freight and they do pretty good. i watched the video on youtube. Thats when I decided to try them. I ment for you to heat the surface to 700deg. Not the rod, I see where I said heat the rod. Sorry....The rod will melt when it touches the surface at 700 or 800 deg.