Fiberglass resin removal?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nevillizer

Reaction score
Whats the best way to remove this crap from aluminum? The whole underside of the boat is covered in it. :evil:

Come on now people, no one has anything to say? You gotta be kidding me. Anyone there? Looking for an outside of the box ideas other than the norm (wire wheel, sanding, hammer and chisel plus elbow grease). Speak up somebody.

Air chisel or dip the boat in ethanol. :lol:

Actually, paint thinner may soften it enough to scrape it off if applied liberally and left to do it's magic.

Acetone will cut the fiberglass, but it evaporates so fast and is highly flamable, do you have access to a sand or baking soda blaster? Good luck you are going to need it.

Flintcreek

I read your post, and had no answer except you're screwed. If you sand it you will be through the aluminium before it comes off. Maybe you could try a stick of dynamite and hope for the best. :lol:

I'd try sand blasting with different blasting media.I've used baking soda to remove paint from aluminum & still have to scotch bright the oxidation off under the paint.Different media does amazingly different things.I would think sand would be to coarse. [-o<

Brine said:
Orbital sander would be my first choice.
Since your gonna steelflex it I would use this with 80 grit.
flintcreek the acetone will not cut the fiberglass. Acetone will clean up resin and it will help to keep the resin from going off if used before it goes off, but that is only the resin. The fiberglass is not affected by the resin. JFYI.

Well, here is my idea. I'm gonna give it a try at removal. It becomes too much of a pain in the @&& I think I will just rough it up and steel flex over it. The steel flex will adhere to it and should fill in all the groves from the dried brush strokes from the original application of this crap. (I hope it comes off, I would much rather do it right.)

Latest posts