to remove the front (factory) deck or not?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wasteman

Reaction score
I am working on decking a Lowe Big Jon 1648 which has a small metal deck in the nose. The deck is approximately 19" on the sides and 28" in the center (has the v nose). On my first attept I used this as support and put 1/2" Plywood on this and extended it another 40" (+/-). As it is currently the deck is flush with the "rub rail" at the top of the boat.

I am thinking of removing this factory deck so I can lower the deck about 3-4 and keep the deck level. I'd like to avoid having a ":stepped" look. Another reason to remove this deck I am thinking it would remove soe weight since I am putting wood over it anyway. Of course the thing is held in with about 30 rivets......

Do you think the weight I would lose from removing this deck is worth the effort? The other issue I am playing with is I have a 25 HP outboard so I do not want to add too much weight and lose speed. Just not sure if I should just keep it flush with the top or drop it down......any thoughts are appreciated.

Waste

That front deck adds a lot of structural rigidity to your hull (hence the 30 rivets holding it in).

If you do decide to remove it, you need to make really sure that you go back with something at least as structurally sound to replace it.

Quackrstackr said:
That front deck adds a lot of structural rigidity to your hull (hence the 30 rivets holding it in).

If you do decide to remove it, you need to make really sure that you go back with something at least as structurally sound to replace it.
Wouldnt replacing this with a deck put the structural integrity back into it? The reason I question you is because I just did exactly what he is asking. Mine is a Lowe 1436 and my front seat/bench wasnt near as big as his but I removed it for the sole purpose of having a little more storage room under that deck. I assumed putting a deck back with aluminum supports would even add more to it structurally than what existed from the factory just because it will be bigger. I could be completely wrong but would like to know for sure before I get to dep into this project.

That's why I put that second sentence in there.. :mrgreen:

The last Lowe that I messed with actually sprung apart nearly 4" at the gunwales when I pulled a deck out to replace it.

Quackrstackr said:
That's why I put that second sentence in there.. :mrgreen:

The last Lowe that I messed with actually sprung apart nearly 4" at the gunwales when I pulled a deck out to replace it.
Wow, the best I can tell mine hasnt moved at all but it still has the middle bench in which isnt all that far from the front. I dont plan to remove it.

I would not remove it, would be hard to do a home made job with similar integrity, its not like a bench, some guys beach at 10 miles an hour, ( not because they want to :shock: ) that front holds it all together. Just my two cents.

Thanks, enough said the "nose piece" will stay! Last think I want is the boat to fall apart around itself!

Thanks again you probably saved me from a horrific experience but a funny story :shock:

Waste

Latest posts