Laun For Flooring?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hyzerbomber said:
not sure if it is the same thing, but found this.https://www.onlinetips.org/luan-plywood-subfloor. you may want to reconsider.

I have to disagree. First, luan comes in several thicknesses over 1/4". I have used 1/2" at work for almost two decades. Second, trees grown in tropical or high moisture conditions are less susceptible to moisture damage, not more. Redwood, cypress, teak and mahogany are all woods grown in wet or tropical conditions and all are very resistant to water. I don't know who authored that article but it's very misleading.

bobberboy said:
hyzerbomber said:
not sure if it is the same thing, but found this.https://www.onlinetips.org/luan-plywood-subfloor. you may want to reconsider.

I have to disagree. First, luan comes in several thicknesses over 1/4". I have used 1/2" at work for almost two decades. Second, trees grown in tropical or high moisture conditions are less susceptible to moisture damage, not more. Redwood, cypress, teak and mahogany are all woods grown in wet or tropical conditions and all are very resistant to water. I don't know who authored that article but it's very misleading.

Maybe so but the result is still the same. It sucks up water like a sponge and it will delaminate if not completely sealed.

You can epoxie or glass coat it and may be be okay but I would just as soon buy good wood and be done with it as go to the extra time and expense to utilize cheap plywood.

bobberboy said:
hyzerbomber said:

All I have to ask is did you work in a cabinet shop??? If so, you should know the difference between a $65 dollar sheet of true mahogany luan ply, and the $9 dollar crap at home depot that he speaks of. I believe the search engine will clear things up on this.

That review is based on modern luan obtained at the local home depot, lowe's type store. Is meant for nothing more than fixing unlevel floor and such things.....You can use it..... That being said you can get away with any ply you wish if its properly sealed up. So go ahead and buy whats in the budget and put many coats of SPAR URATHANE to er.

I'm also time budget conscious and agree with Quackrstackr that a little added cost to the sheet avoids extra time, coats, materials.
That being said, I'm starting my first mod soon and will be looking for cost savings around every corner, like the 2 half used cans of thompsons water seal in the garage makes a cheap piece of ply look pretty doable. At the end of the day your call, some of these guys have tons of experience that I hope to tap into for decisions and ponders like this one. Good luck!

Just an fyi.... Thompson's will probably last less than a year if the boat sees any kind of constant exposure to the elements.

Just got to say... this site ROCKS!
It's stuff like this that keeps (speaking of my self here) newbies from making costly mistakes.
Thanks in advance ;)

Quackrstackr said:
Just an fyi.... Thompson's will probably last less than a year if the boat sees any kind of constant exposure to the elements.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ =D> good solid advice.

You should use SPAR URATHANE when you do it.

Latest posts