Wood Decking Life Span?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hooky1420

Reaction score
I know some of you have some great experience on this topic. This is my first build and I was wondering how long I can expect the wood on my boat to last under normal conditions? I more than likely won't fish in the rain, but may have a few days where I get caught out in it. Boat will be stored outside, but under shade and with a jon cover on it when not in use. All wood has been properly sealed with water seal, and it was new wood when I put it on. Just wondering how many seasons I can expect to get out of my work of art! Sound off and let me know your experiences. Thanks!

There are many variables to giving an answer to that..... what kind of sealer did you use? Is it covered with carpet? Did you make sure to seal up your ply edges?

Even a bad job though will last you a year or two.

I sealed the plywood edges, yes. I know I probably did a no-no by using Thompsons, but I was able to bum the rest of the can off my brother who used it to seal some wood a month or so ago. I'm building on a budget! There is no exposed wood - everything is under carpet - (lowes UV resitant)

Heck - if it gets me a year or two, I would be satisfied. At that point I will probably decide to do something different. I just bought the boat a few months ago and somehow find time to do something to it almost every single day. It's become a passion I think...

Hooky1420 said:
I sealed the plywood edges, yes. I know I probably did a no-no by using Thompsons, but I was able to bum the rest of the can off my brother who used it to seal some wood a month or so ago. I'm building on a budget! There is no exposed wood - everything is under carpet - (lowes UV resitant)

Heck - if it gets me a year or two, I would be satisfied. At that point I will probably decide to do something different. I just bought the boat a few months ago and somehow find time to do something to it almost every single day. It's become a passion I think...

If the edges are sealed up your good for a couple years.... as long as you don't swamp the thing and only let it air dry out... I've been known to set up a box fan and dehimidifier in the garage for a night or two.. I don't want to share why I had to do this once.. :oops:

The wood I removed from my boat was on the boat during my ownership for three years. Before that I would say maybe ten years. I broke through the plywood deck last fall. It was covered with green astro-turf. I really like my new alum decks. :lol:

Thats a pretty good lifespan!

If you seal it up well, and take care of it from then on out, I could see it lasting for a really long time. It takes more than a little bit of moisture to make plywood rot. If you keep it covered and avoid fishing days with 110% chance of rain, you'll be fine.

i've not built my boat yet, but we did restore my buddies old bass tracker we used 3/4 plywood, did not treat it, covered it with carpet from walmart automotive section using 3m 777 spray glue and have not had any issuse that was 4 years ago, boat is kept outside, sometimes covered, sometimes not, fished in the rain sometimes. bottom line is not had any problems with the carpet coming up, or issuses with the wood going bad, just wood glue and carpet, that is what i plan on usuing when i do my build in the coming weeks

I don't think getting a wood deck wet is so bad but keeping it wet is where the problem comes in. Look at Oragon (the state). It is so wet out there that they have an on-going deck preservation industrey. The sun is another factor. It also eats up anything left exposed to UV over a long period of time. I think ( therefore my wife don't like me) keeping a boat/deck covered is the bottom line. Do a good job and keep it covered it should last many years.