Transom Wood

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassBlaster

Reaction score
I posted this question in my mod thread but havnt gotten a reply in a couple days so I figured I would ask again. I got my old transom wood out and I want to know what is the best wood to replace it with? I know most laminate two 3/4 plys together and go from there but my transom wood is only 8" tall so I'm questioning if a 2x10 ripped down to 8" would be better than the ply. If so should I look for an oak 2x10 or cedar or just the cheapy pine? My past framing experience tells me the laminated ply is stronger because in home framing when you have to span long distances, ie. garage doors, you use laminated beams. Didnt know if the same theory applied here or not. Just wanna hear from the pros so I can get this project back on the road!!

I forgot to add that solid lumber also has a tendency to split at the bolt holes where ply will not.

I thought the ply would be the better option, just wanted to make sure. Guess I'm off for a sheet of 3/4" exterior grade and some spar urethane. Thanks for the quick replys guys!!

Latest posts