14 foot fiberglass MFG

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double G

Reaction score
Hello! New to here, and boating as a whole. I just have a quick question for you when you deck boats out. I do not have a john boat but a decent 14 foot MFGmade in Fibergalss. Pictures below. I've seen some of the wonderfull jobs you all have done making decks and your boats really functional. The big question I have is: When making the supports for the deck out of 2x4's ... how do you fasten it to the boat on the floor, or do you just leave them like legs?

I know I can not build a deck too high in the type of boat I have but I would like to get it a bit more organized like some of the pictures I have seen.
IMG00035-20100531-1346.jpg
IMG00038-20100605-1404.jpg

I think i can drill into where I have the arrows because they look like stabalizers. If they are can I just screw the floor boards down into them or is there some special screw to use?

Attachments

• boats.jpg
    boats.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 1,059
The spots marked look like foam filled stringers, but they are much bigger. If it is glass you can just sand the area where the legs would go for the deck and glass them in and they would be permanant. Fiberglass is great in that you can do pretty much what ever you want with it. Glass the supports in or you could screw them in, but with time the screws would pull. I would glass a board in and then you could screw in to that or just glass the supports in.

Could you glue your wood supports to the fiberglass using something like liquid nails or water proof garilla glue then screw your deck to that?

You got good advice on attaching by using fiberglass to fiberglass. Check out some of the builds at microskiff.com as they have some pretty impressive builds on glass skiffs.

www.microskiff.com Is off the hook with what some of those guys do in fiberglass. Thank you all for the advice. I am currently trying to cut templates for the initial phase of flooring on the boat. I will get pics up after the weekend since I have alot of time to owkr on it inbetween boating on the Delaware :)

I work with fiberglass for a living and I would be glad to give you and advice or pointers you might need.

Well I have purchased and installed some seats with pedistal. I will be on the delaware tomorrow and looking for some bass. I have ordered the carpet from Lowes but went ahead and put the seats in anyhow. I plan to remove the wood and wrap in carpet. figured this would give me a decent platform to build upon. I fit the rear floor board on and it should work excellent. I know this is a aluminum site but I am more of a carpenter. I drilled 1/4 inch holes in the wood and 1/2 holes in the fiberglass and used large molly bolts to attach to the fiberglass.

The back deck is very stable and I can not wait for the carpet to see how it turns out. I got the 2 seats on cragislist for $20 and the 2 13 inch stands on craigs list for $20 as well. Tomorrow I will take out and test the seats to see if the are too high. I do have a few resevations about the height.

Front Seat
IMG00080-20100704-1930.jpg
back beck-floorboard
Rear seatIMG00076-20100704-1851.jpg

Attachments

• IMG00078-20100704-1852.jpg
    IMG00078-20100704-1852.jpg
    453.7 KB · Views: 975