Front deck overhang and transom questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orion_134

Reaction score
First post, let's make it a good one :)
First newb question: When measuring the transom width is it measured from the top or bottom?

Now for the meat-n-taters: I'm looking to make the bow deck of my jon a little bigger, possibly with 3/4" plywood and having it hang over the boat edge by a couple inches. Has anyone done this with any great success?

I'll post up some pics of my boat later, maybe y'all can give me an insight to age and manufacturer.
Thanks guys,
Jesse

Jim said:
:WELCOME: Jesse

Thanks for joining!

How big is your boat?

What is the purpose or your idea for having the deck overhang by a couple of inches?
16' and the top of the transom is 68", I think the bottom is 48". It has a center console and a 25hp Merc 4 stroke. I wanted the overhang so I could have a little bigger deck to cast or for the ol' lady to lay out etc. I also wanted an excuse to redo the front so I can have some top-door storage vs. the almost useless rear door access that's there now.
Jesse

I can appreciate wanting more deck space and more storage. As far as the overhang goes I would think a <4"'s would be ok. What you have to worry about is how you will protect it from the splashing waves when you are under way. As long as you are braced well (under the deck inside the boat) and it is anchored strongly to the hull/ribs etc. you'll probably be fine. If you transom is 48" at the bottom you have a wide enough boat to handle a tall deck as long as your not wreck-less. Good luck and post some picture of what you have and plenty of people will ring in on the matter.

orion_134 said:
So is the bottom transom measurement the measurement used traditionally? So my 16' boat is a 1648?
Jesse

Yes and welcome aboard.

Latest posts