Using Rustoleum aluminum Primer not self etching is it ok?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neveraseven

Reaction score
I just put Rustoleum Pro Primer for aluminumon my stripped aluminum hull. Is it the same as the self etching primer everyone talks about? I was also interested any input on using the Rustoleum oil based gloss paint for the hull which would be below the water line. I would use a paint brush to put it on. Also, has anyone used this product or should I use something else like an epoxy or polyurethane? Thanks in advance

I used the Rustoleum oil base on my jon. I just rough sanded and painted over old paint and in places bare aluminum. I did not use any type primer. The paint job looks great. Where I painted over the bare aluminum, the paint is wearing off. I do wish I had used the etching primer. Sorry, I am not familiar with the aluminum primer.

Ken

I don't believe its the same. Hopefully its not the same stuff I used on my 14 footer, because it broke down and bubbled if even the slightest bit of paint came off.

Latest posts