transom replacement ?'s

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dallas

Reaction score
I may have really screwed the pooch on this one......

I need a new transom bad so I just went out and asked for treated plywood, from reading on here to use pressure treated plywood laminated together. Not knowing these may be different things, I cut and glued and screwed my transom and have a date with a welder in the next few days to replace this thing. I read somewhere that the copper in the treated wood is bad bad bad for alum boats and my tag that came on the plywood says micronized copper azole right on it, Im guessing I dont want this in my boat? If so, could I just seal the crap out of it with urethane to keep water out and the copper in? I should have done more research before diving into this, i know, so now who has the quick fix for me? :D Thanks guys.

Dallas

I would re-do it with non-treated wood and then apply a water proofing agent. This will save your "bacon" in the end. Regardless of what you use to cover the treated wood (unless you fiberglass the whole transom) some of the copper andother chemical will eventually leach out of the would and start the corrosions process.

if it hasnt been on there for too long, your going to be fine. however, take it out asap and replace it with non-pressure treated plywood.

Latest posts