Neat tip--Tubing for protecting boat and running wires

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathanielrthomas

Reaction score
Hello guys, I just wanted to share something that has really helped me out on my boat. Along the sides of my boat, I put some sort of plastic tubing my dad aquired from work(PVC, etc.?) along the sides of my boat. They work great for protection, but the really convenient thing about it is the ability to run wires from the back to the front of the boat. Ive ran my running lights, fish finder, and 2 12V outlet wires through the tubing. Whats really convenient is all the wires are easily accessible without having to remove decks/fish through the floor/etc. I think it looks pretty good too.

Check out the black tubing in the pics

Attachments

• 1pvc.JPG
    1pvc.JPG
    288.2 KB · Views: 637
  • 2pvc.JPG
    2pvc.JPG
    296.3 KB · Views: 637
  • 3pvc.JPG
    3pvc.JPG
    291.9 KB · Views: 637
  • 4pvc.JPG
    4pvc.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 637
jasper60103 said:
That looks pretty slick. I wish I found something like that a month ago. Any idea what it's called or where can you buy it from?

I have no idea. I know that its just flexible enough to go over the sides, but you gotta force it a little bit. It can be difficult without gloves.. i'll check around for you. My father may know where to buy it.

Clean, slick and protects the gunnels too. Let's find out the product name. It wouldn't hurt to have it in place even if no wires ran throught it.

Im pretty sure you could get it at home depot or lowes. The tough part is cutting the pipe in a straight line, and then getting it started over your gunnels. Its pretty easy to remove it to run wires though, because you dont have to remove it completely.

Just last week I was able to install two 12V outlets in less than 20 minutes. This week one of those outlets failed and I replaced it in a few minutes. It was all very convenient compared to fishing them under the flooring. I was even able to put one of those outlets(the one pictured) on a switch that I ran up to the bow of the boat to control my cooler livewell. All the wires are tucked away and secure, yet easily accessible.

I think you can use irrigation hose (hose used for yard waterings, and I'm pretty sure it's some sort of flexible PVC...)

russ010 said:
I think you can use irrigation hose (hose used for yard waterings, and I'm pretty sure it's some sort of flexible PVC...)

AH HA! Thats where Ive seen this stuff before. I would put money on it that russ is right, this stuff is probably irrigation hose. My dad got it from a guy he works with who recommended we use it on the gunnels of a john boat. Great Idea, and probably cheap too.

Is that what we call on the farm 3/4" flex pipe or flex tubing. It may come in 1" but it comes in rolls up to 300'. (I think that should be enough).

Yeah that looks like black irrigation tubing. I've used that before...well for irrigation :D

If you want to be able to cut it easier, lay it out in the sun for awhile. It will soften up, stay straight, and cut a lot easier.

Latest posts