Treated wood against aluminum, does it hurt?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusty.hook

Reaction score
I have been told by a lot of people, do not use treated wood in decking a boat that will touch the aluminum because of the chemicals in the treating of the wood at the factory. Is this true, does anyone know. I would like to enclose my gas tank and battery in the back and make a full casting deck, but don't know to proceed or not, thanx.

DO NOT USE PRESSURE TREATED WOOD... [-X it will react with the aluminum and cause corrosion and pitting very fast. Just buy standard plywood (not osb) and put three coats of SPAR URATHANE on the plywood to seal it up. :wink:

no problem... looking at your signature tells me you have a good boat to get some modding done on.... sounds like a good one too 8)

I want to cover the big factory front deck with carpet and mount my hand operated troll motor with the floor mounted off and on switch. I just set the motors direction and speed and use the switch to control the movement. I want to make a lid for the back deck to cover the battery and gas tank. I also have a GPS, dept finder, and 2 switches for bilge and lights and looking for some ideas for a small plain side console for mounting all those items. I have thought about building a console out of mahogony, or just having someone build a small one from alum. The motor is a tiller Yamaha, thanx.
P.S. any suggestions on the console would be welcomed.

rusty.hook said:
I want to cover the big factory front deck with carpet and mount my hand operated troll motor with the floor mounted off and on switch. I just set the motors direction and speed and use the switch to control the movement. I want to make a lid for the back deck to cover the battery and gas tank. I also have a GPS, dept finder, and 2 switches for bilge and lights and looking for some ideas for a small plain side console for mounting all those items. I have thought about building a console out of mahogony, or just having someone build a small one from alum. The motor is a tiller Yamaha, thanx.
P.S. any suggestions on the console would be welcomed.

Try a search in the top right.. a few people have made their own consoles (including myself on my 1648, but its nothing to brag about) and there are quite a few examples floating around.

Welcome to TB