Making a Portable Live Well

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis1022

Reaction score
I have this storage box Inside Dia. is as follows Lenght top is 27.25" x Lenght Bottom is 26" then the Depth is 15" x Width top is 17" x width Bottom is 15.5" the full gallon is 31 gallons
100_1037.jpg

100_1036.jpg

100_1038.jpg

165232_ts.jpg

So what I need to do is a step by step instructions. The reason I don't want to make it permament mount is a narrow boat and it is fiberglass and the last time I drilled into a fiberglass boat and found out it won't work the place I made the hole!
So any help would be greatly appreciated
Dennis

First thing I would do is fill that thing up with water to where you feel like "full" is, and make sure it doesn't want to buckle. It looks like it would be ok, but I'd make sure before going through the work. 25 gallons of water will weigh 208lbs in there. Also, I would guess that it won't have very good insulating capacity, so I'd make sure to have some ice readily available on hot days to keep the water cool.

The easiets way I've seen without drilling any holes is to simply use a pump that's designed to sit in the water. The one you pictured is not.

One pump, one hose, no holes in boat, no holes in box, no valves.

Put pump in lake to fill, put pump in box to recirculate, put spraybar overboard to empty.

Nothing against your idea but....... find a cheap cooler. They can be found for less money than you spent on that pump :wink:

I made one out of a tub like that. I have a pump that sets in the water. It seems to work but as stated earlier that water heats up pretty quick. I will change the water out to try to keep fresh cool water in it. I'm still using it at the moment but plan on changing over to a cooler as soon as I get my other mods done. BTW the tub will buckle once you get about 3/4 full. I over filled mine once and couldn't get the lid back on. :? I'm not trying to tell you not to build it that way, I just wanted to let you know of the problems I have with mine.

Well thanks everyone for your input! I have changed my mind lat night and buy this cooler that Lowe's has! I don't remember the gallon size but it about the same as the storage bin! As for the parts I have from another boat and the the Live Well I was making just wouldn't allow fish to swim to much pipes! So I'll post the new photos of the cooler and still need to get couple of plastic hoses! Plus I want to buy the Hole Saw set so I would be able to drill precise hole without tears or cracks. Also will get more 90 degree PVC's and 3 way corner PVC 1" OD. So if anyone has step by step Ideas please send them my way!
Dennis

I used the same rubbermaid container you were starting off with - and there is a post on this website with step by step instructions... but now I can't find it.

Mine didn't buckle at all though, and I had fish up to 5lbs in it with no problems.

To stop the buckling, one thing you can do is rivet the lid to the container, then cut out a 1' x 1' hole in the top of it with a lid on a hinge.... works like a charm

Here is the new cooler I just purchased today!
100_1048.jpg

100_1047.jpg

100_1040.jpg

100_1041.jpg

100_1043.jpg

100_1042.jpg

100_1044.jpg

100_1048.jpg

So now I need some Ideas about where would you put a holes and everything else that goes wth it!
Thank You
Dennis

Here ya go............ if you have questions just ask. I love the two piece lid :wink:
I would just put alligator clamps on the wires and a toggle switch, then you can quickly connect and disconnect from the battery.

cooler.jpg

This what I have from my livewell project the last time! I have 1 Livewell Timer, 1 Auto Float switch, 3 Thru Hull hose connectors, 1 Bilge Pump used, 4 -90 degree 1" OD PVC, 3 - hose connectors, 3' clear but have wire reinforce Hose, 1- 2' Black flex hose, 1- Livewell pump, plenty of stainless steel pipe wall clamps. I hope the photos help to give you more the idea that I have to work with!

165232_ts.jpg

20105_M1.jpg

21319_M1.jpg

71787_L1.jpg

906884_i-832664-t.jpg

Thanks for the idea, but how will I change water and keep water cool. Still not sure if I want to drill a hole in the Hull of the boat!
Dennis

Are you wanting it to be portable or mounted in the boat? If once in the boat, your going to leave it there then you could do like I did with mine click below to see...

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13725

You can see it here too..... on pages 5 and 6

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13160

This might better explain it.

LIVE.JPG

Here is the Thru hull mounted pump that fills the Livewell
LIVE2.JPG

Here is how I ran The bail line
LIVE1.JPG

Really not sure, the bat I have is a Fiberglass 16' called a Matthew, was made in New Bern, NC by a Cabinet Maker and Yachts but went out of business!
100_0519.jpg

100_0516.jpg

100_0515.jpg

100_0514.jpg

100_0513.jpg

100_0512.jpg

It is very narrow boat and all the weight so far is in on the stern, I was thinking of mounting it near the front seat,but then it will need to run a pipe from the transom to the midway towards the bow. Then I have to find out if the wall of the side is hollow or solid. So I'm still undecided but I like your rig very sweet, nice name and perch. I was thinking having mine called the Bass Stalker! Haven't came up with the picture yet! So this is where I'm at now! I think when the Temperature goes down a little take the cooler and photograph all the places that is fits!
Thanks

Here is more photos of the inside of the boat with the cooler! I only have 2 spots to put it, no room near the gas tank & battery compartment and no room in front of the console! So I have behnd seat and in front of the bench! The only problem is when I have the Bimi to down it lays over the back bench and the cooler!
100_1053.jpg

100_1049.jpg

100_1056.jpg

100_1055.jpg

100_1054.jpg

100_1052.jpg

100_1051.jpg

100_1050.jpg

Well that's it of the photos!
Dennis

I would be so tempted to build my own console around that cooler..... of course I'm no expert at doing or removing fiberglass either though #-o Or maybe remove one of the bench seats and go that route? I do know that there are a couple of guys who really know a lot about fiberglassing and repairing fiberglass boats on here that will probably chime in and set you at ease. :wink:

I would take the cooler out with ya on your next trip to the water and first see where you trip over it the least. :fishing:

so what is the suggested size for a livewell?? If I am going to go through the work of putting in a livewell i want it to me the appropriate size.

Perchin, I have dicided to make it a portable not a permament mount. After all the room on the boat is very narrow and is a good boat for shallow water. I have had the boat in waer that the T/M was just barely out of the water! So now I have to figure how to make it with the pump and hoses!
Dennis

JRHOADES20 said:
so what is the suggested size for a livewell?? If I am going to go through the work of putting in a livewell i want it to me the appropriate size.

I would go with 120qt or bigger if you plan to keep (5) 5# bass alive all day. The 120qt coolers go for $50 at Walmart I think.

Dennis1022 said:
Perchin, I have dicided to make it a portable not a permament mount. After all the room on the boat is very narrow and is a good boat for shallow water. I have had the boat in waer that the T/M was just barely out of the water! So now I have to figure how to make it with the pump and hoses!
Dennis

https://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_1293____SearchResults

I use this for a cooler and it works great. I added an inline switch so I can turn the aeration off and on. Completley portable and you just pull pump out place it in lake to fill cooler and just pull hose off place over side of boat to empty. When I am panfishing or fishing a small boat tourney I throw it in the boat. When I am just fun fishing no need to bring it along.

Since your going to make it portable I would use the above system. If your going to mount it permanent, I would look at the space in front of the console. You could run the drain through the console and along the side of the boat or just through the side of the boat. I work with fiberglass for a living and would be glad to give you any pointers.

I looked at all different types of portable Live Wells, so I decided to stick with a portable type. I can't move the console unless I do more modefications done. The cooler won't fit in between the console and the bench! The front bench has 2 batteries for the T/M and depth finder!So that is out of the question! To tell the truth I wished I would have never bought this boat! So now I have deal with it! The cooler is gong on the same side as the drivers seat or in the middle next to the back bench! But I will have to run a hose over the side rail! Unless I use a hull plug and attach a shut off valve!
Dennis

Latest posts