What colors for this camo pattern?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatdoggjake

Reaction score
I bought the camo stencil that you see in the below photo from Reel Foot Camo. I decide to buy their's over making my own. I would like to paint my boat close to the same colors as the crestliner on their website page. Below is a photo. Who can take a guess at what colors these are? I e-mailed reel foot camo, but they said crestliner uses their own mix and they suggested to use use Krylon colors. Thanks.

Attachments

• Reelfoot%20New%20Grass%20Crestliner%201.jpg
    Reelfoot%20New%20Grass%20Crestliner%201.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 2,240
Cool thing about camo,,,it doesn't have to be exact.
Just bring a good colored picture into the paint place and match it up the best you can.
It's probably only 3/4 different colors and your base color may already be the color of your jon boat now.

I want to order the base color in Steel Flex as well and that's my biggest concern. All the paint has been stripped off, so I'm working with bare aluminum. This will be my first attempt at a camo stencil or than ,y deer blind, which really didn
t matter to me like my boat does. I know camo doesn't matter too much in most cases, but being this is my boat I want it to turn out looking good. Besides... I spent way too much time taking the paint off the boat to only mess it up when I repaint the thing. So would a guess be some typr of tan, with light brown bark, with a little green, with tan reeds on top? Once I select a few colors I was going to try to paint some old stuff first to get the patterns down. Thanks

Try googling a few different sites if you can't find what your looking for here.
I know I googled one last year,showed step by step his process,came out real nice.
I think it was on some duck hunting forum,I'll see if I can find it.

According to their site, That pattern is called "Reelfoot Grass Lands". Below is a link to a pic of that pattern in a larger scale. I know the grass is kinda going multi-directional in this pic, but the colors look to be the same as whats on that boat. This might help give you abit closer look at what colors you need, and what color to use as your base color.

https://www.reelfootcustomcamo.com/Reelfoot%20Small%20Grass%20Lands.JPG

Looks to be the same as the base colors for Natgear with a dead grass (light khaki) for the grass.

Lots of info for the Natgear paint colors can be found on duckhunter.net.

https://refugeforums.com/refuge/showthread.php?t=797998&highlight=natgear+paint

https://refugeforums.com/refuge/showthread.php?t=782694&highlight=natgear+paint

marsh grass green for the base coat. Light tan and flat dark earth for the reeds. Add some dark brown and mint green for the leaves and you should be set.

thatdoggjake- I have used reelfoot's thicket pattern on my boat and also their natgear pattern on my atv. with proper technique and a lot of time you can make it look as good as the pic. Both the patterns i got from them came with instructions on what paints to buy and how to use them. The Natgear even came with 4 cans of paint. But it wasnt enough for the whole job so i had to buy some more. The Krylon camo paints will work good for that pattern but you must "mix" them to achieve the proper color.Krylon Camo Paint is good stuff but not cheap. For instance, looks to me that the base coat would be a mix between Krylon's khaki and sand colors. First spray one solid color then go back and lightly mist with the second color(sand or khaki depending on which you used first) to achieve the right base color. Once you do this on some test surfaces you'll see what i mean and get the feel for what you need. You must do this step with no wind to blow it around because you're misting the paint so lightly it wont ever go where you want it in even the slightest breeze.

i know this probably isnt the answer you wanted but i looked all over for the proper colors for natgear ...esp the base color and there just simply isn't many good spray paints out there in good camo colors. keep playing around with the mixing technique and you should be able to duplicate all the colors you need. I think it may speak a little of this in the paperwork they send with the stencil.
Also i highly doubt you will be able to get steelflex matched as closely as your wanting to be the base color. i just dont think it will look the same as the pic. Too it will help you to have a camo shirt or at least a print out of the pattern up close to hold in hand to match the colors.

BTW its probably a little late now but have you thought about doing a vinyl decal like CamoClad? i did my 4 wheeler half in stencil and half in decal. i know you're probably thinking the decals are expensive but honestly something as big as a boat the paint gets expensive too with Krylon costing almost $5/can. The decals go on fairly easy on flat surfaces like a boat and would be much quicker and obviously most professional looking IMO. good luck

oh also...just a tip... any of the camo spray paints wont last more than a couple of years without fading in uv exposure. Given the amout of time and work put into the paint job this probably doesnt sound like good news to you. i highly suggest going back over with a UV resistant clear coat to help protect it from the sun. You can get clear coat in spray cans that are actually really good products.

thanks roughneck and everyone else. I really think that steelflex will be a great addition to my boat. I go through a lot of mud and grass. With something as slick as steelflex I don't think I could go wrong with it. After much thought I decided, or at least have at this second decided, that I will only use steelflex on the bottom and not paint over it. I know it will keep me from painting the under side of my boat were it rises out of the water, but I think it will still look decent.

I think that after all this time I put into thinking about my paint job, that the next step is to go ahead and buy some small amounts of paint and test it out on some cardboard.

I'm also thinking about using tuff coat on the inside of my boat (and hydroturff on the floors). I saw that cabelas had tuff coat in several different colors. Is it possible to get the tuff coat with no color, then go to my hardware store and add the color that I want to match my base paint color?

That's I think i'm going to wait maybe another week or so before I make my final, final, final decision. lol. I don't want to mess it up.

I think you're right about not painting over the steelflex. when i camo'd my boat i only did the sides, transom and inside. the bottom is mostly the factory color which was gray. i did paint all the way down the modified v part on the front down well below the water line...anyway you can't tell the whole boat isn't camo without looking at it from underneath while on the trailer. In the water you definitely can't tell. Your rig should look fine with steelflex up past the waterline and the rest camo stencil especially if you choose a tan or greenish tan steelflex. A tip about the stencils though is to clean them often with acetone. you'll find they build up paint quickly and work much better when cleaned and more flexible. with any camouflage the rule i have found is "less is more" ....you can always go back and at some leaves or grasses here and there if you like but an open pattern at a distance looks much better than too much. good luck and post some pics when you're done. :)

The last 2 boats that I stenciled, I used a roller for the basecoat. You can't tell that it wasn't shot on with a spray gun or from a can.

That adds a whole lot of flexibility in the colors available to you. :wink:

The paint sources in those links that I supplied to The Refuge have colors that should pretty well match what you are shooting for.

Latest posts