Deck a 1432?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlejohn

Reaction score
Has anyone here decked a 1432? I took mine out today for her maiden voyage. And on a side note, I'm glad I ripped the carpet out because I found a few leaky rivets that need to be rebucked. Not bad for a 38-year-old boat though. When my wife and I got in the boat, the rivets stopped leaking pretty much completely.
While we were out there on the water, I was contemplating decking the front again and honestly, the boat doesn't seem all that stable. I'm kind of scared to deck it.
What do you guys think? Should I go for it or just leave her be?

Don't do it. If anything you might put a floor in no higher than the top of the ribs. To deck it any higher would be very tipsy.

I'm decking my 1436 but the deck will end up being about 3-6" above the floor ribs. I hope this works out, from others I've seen do it this way I think it'll be good.

LittleJ. It might not be a bad place to start flat-decking to the floor ribs. It would give you a place to mount some swivel seats and mess with carpet and make the boat more user friendly. Then when you find a nice w i d e boat you can transfer all the good stuff you've learned and all the good stuff you've bought to the new one. The watch word for now is STAY-LOW.

At the very least put in decking on top of the ribs. You'll be glad you did when hit the water the first time and you can move thru the boat without tripping over the ribs.

I had a 1432 and it was (is) very unstable for me. Bought a 1542 and it is more stable but I am not going to deck it. Like the idea of anti-fatigue mats. Never thought of that before.

Latest posts