A few questions from a newby

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve_In

Reaction score
This is my first post here. I am Steve from Ari, Indiana.
I have a Lone Star Mariner circa 1955 I am going to get back in the water. I plan to Steelflex the bottom, rebuild the transom, patch some holes, add seats and fix up the trailer. My first thoughts were to just use roof coating to seal the seams and some holes but after reading some of the posts I decided to go with Steelflex.
I need to have some welding done and I was wondering if anyone knew what grade of aluminum was used in these boats. Also can I use a conduit bender to bend square tubeing? Also the trailer does not have a bow or winch post. Do I need to add one?
Your help and suggestions will be apreciated.
DSCN0403_1.jpg

Welcome aboard, and a very cool tin you have there. Looks like it will be a great project.

I don't have a clue what gauge of aluminum you have there, but answers to your other questions....

I would seriously doubt that you could bend square tubing in a conduit bender. Never tried it, but it seems like it would be structurally stronger than conduit. Don't think it would hurt to give it a try though. I would also add a bow post to secure that boat. It may not need a winch depending on it's weight, but it certainly needs some kind of secure anchor point in the front. Hope that helps a little.

https://groups.yahoo.com/groups/lonestarboat/
Try this site...lot of folks to help.

Thanks for the replys :) . I am taking her in for some welding next week. The alum is about .070 thick, the guy welding it just wanked to know what grade it might be. It seems tougher than 6061 but I really can't tell. All my experience with aluminum is machining the stuff. I have a spot I did not notice before that will need it prior to steelflex.
I now have a welder for steel I will try it out as soon as I get it wired up. The guy gave it to me has not used it in years so he couldn't tell me if it still works. If it works I will weld up the small tube and a bow post too.
I will check out the Lone Star site to, thank you for the link. I would like to restore her and hang on an olg early 50's motor but i really don't want that much hassle right now.
Thanks, Steve

Latest posts