I wanted to say Hi to everyone and ask a question!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmallieBigs

Reaction score
Hello to everyone!!!

I was refered here from a member of Myfishfinder.com and I've been reading on this site for about 3 straight days since :mrgreen: I can't believe some of the beautiful work and great ideas I've seen from you guys so far =D>

I am from upstate NY where there is a lot of great fishing, and even more if you have a boat. I am selling my motorcycle because I have a messed up back and can't ride that much anymore. I'm going to invest most of what I get from the sale into a fishing boat. I have a 10 year old son that's starting to take an interest in fishing and I figure we'd get a lot more fun out of a boat.

I need to keep the boat as light as possible because it will be towed behind a small car and my back won't let me horse around a big heavy boat. I had to sell my 18' Star Craft a couple years ago because it was too heavy for me to mess with.

I have narrowed the hull down to 2 options unless I can find a good deal on Craigslist for a used one. Either a 1436 or 1542 Tracker. I'm leaning towards the 1542

So do you guys think that 6" wider is worth an extra $370?

Go for the 1542. I've had kids in boats and they need to be stable cause the kids will do whaat you don't expect. I had a 1236 for just over a year and upgraded to a 1448. The 1542 is more stable, has more room inside and I'm sure also higher sides. That all makes for a safer and more fun outing. Yes, it's worth the extra dough. Let us know what you get and post pics. Welcome.

I'd consider waiting it out on CL for a deal. 1448's are harder to come by, but would be well worth the wait.

Thanks guys,

I figured wider would be better and I'm not in a really big hurry so I've got plenty of time to find a good deal on Craiglist...I haven't even listed the bike for sale yet.

bobberboy I read through both of your mod threads man...Great work!!!

Same to you Ictalurus! Awesome job on the 1440 man!

I have the 1542 Tracker and love it. I think the folks at Tracker did a lot of research into finding the perfect balance of size, stability and features at this price point. I have had me and 4 kids in the boat with no issue. I have also had two adults in the boat, both of us standing on the seats and casting in a chop, with no problem (I am 6' 2", 235 lbs). If you want to know more about my boat check out my thread or send me a PM.

Cheers,
BC

BaitCaster said:
I have the 1542 Tracker and love it. I think the folks at Tracker did a lot of research into finding the perfect balance of size, stability and features at this price point. I have had me and 4 kids in the boat with no issue. I have also had two adults in the boat, both of us standing on the seats and casting in a chop, with no problem (I am 6' 2", 235 lbs). If you want to know more about my boat check out my thread or send me a PM.

Cheers,
BC

Thanks for the info!
If I end up getting the 1542 I plan on building a casting deck at the same height as the seat w/ the livewell so that is really good to know.

I have a few friends that weld and one that runs a custom aluminum dock company so it will be framed and decked in aluminum to keep the weight (and my costs) down.

SB

SmallieBigs said:
BaitCaster said:

Cheers,
BC

Thanks for the info!
If I end up getting the 1542 I plan on building a casting deck at the same height as the seat w/ the livewell so that is really good to know.

I have a few friends that weld and one that runs a custom aluminum dock company so it will be framed and decked in aluminum to keep the weight (and my costs) down.

SB

That'll be a good score on the aluminum. My dad worked at an aluminum dock co in MN many years ago. The stuff they toss in the scrap heap will probably be plenty for what you'll need. Plus, you'll know that the framing will hold up longer than you.

Froggy said:
Hey Welcome! another New Yorker!!! Good advise on the above threads. Keep it light!! where Upstate?

Thanks and nice job on the boat!

I'm in Dolgeville which is pretty much dead center between Albany and Syracuse. Southern Adirondacks probably close to your camp :shock:

1542 is a nice size boat. I will be looking to upgrade to 1442 or 1448 in the future.

Henry

awesome another person from upstate ny, lol i half to agree with people that say wider is better because i have a 1032 modded with a highdeck and if i aint careful ill be in the water :LOL2: . Oh, and if u decide to get a boat on craigslist, see if the person you buy it from will give you a "test drive" because sometimes "no leaks" means "leaks a ton", and "did run" means "dont run anymore" :( .

redneckfisher said:
Oh, and if u decide to get a boat on craigslist, see if the person you buy it from will give you a "test drive" because sometimes "no leaks" means "leaks a ton", and "did run" means "dont run anymore" :( .

Hey Ilion, NY I just rode my bike through there to go up the gorge! I love that road :mrgreen:

:LOL2: That was funny and so true. If they even hesitate a little bit when I ask them questions like that on the phone I usually don't bother even looking at it.

People around here are pretty **** proud of their beat up old jon boats. I've seen pieces of junk 10 footers listed for $600 with no trailer or paperwork even :shock:

It ridiculous because anyone can get a brand new Tracker 1236 for $700 with tax and have all the paperwork!!!

Then I've seen old 14' Star Crafts all over the place that would need a lot of work but the hulls are in good shape w/ motors and trailers for $500....Jon boats must be golden around here!

yeah the gorge is sweet! i got one of those 10ft jon boats lol (i got mine for $125). i found 5 cracks in the transom area under a bunch of old tar and silicone (that didnt work) but nothin a little jb weld didnt fix. then with no paperwork, it was really hard to register and i didnt know a brand or model # so yeah it was a bad idea but finaly got it registered.

Hey redneckfisher at least you got your boat for a good deal. The best deal I've found so far was a 1432 for $350 but I decided to get something wider. There must not be a lot of jons around this area, but there are a tone of V's.

Hey Froggy it's a small world man!

Latest posts