Commercial use only?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Watts

Reaction score
Was out looking at new Jon boats, and most of them had a sticker that said they weren't approved for pleasure boating, only commercial use.

So, if I buy one, I'm not allowed to enjoy it? :wink:

Seriously, what's up with this?

I believe comercial jon boats are not required to have approved floatation.

Henry

I don't know. I would check it out first before you buy. You might have to use it comercialy in order to take it out. Start a golf ball retreval buisness. :)

Henry

Is there some insurance implication? I've seen many manufacturers refer to jons as utility boats on their sites. I guess it's ok to have fun until whatever is going to go wrong finally goes wrong. When that happens would you mind cluing the rest of us in?

Personaly I would not take a chance. I would want a boat with approved floation.

To much at risk.

Henry

The manufacturers do this to get around certain regulations, usually flotation. This is common in jon boats such as duck boats as they are going to be used in shallow water and don't really need flotation, thus flotation wastes space and is somewhat of a downside to say a guy duck hunting swamps running a mud motor to some degree. Check out prodrive boats, perfect example. I doubt you would have any issue and you do not have to start a golf ball retrieval business. However, if you plan on using your jon on lake michigan or are thinking about crossing the atlantic in it, then I would say add foam or get a model with flotation. Bottom line is do you need flotation for what you are using it for? If its not a major concern its not a major concern, if it is there are plenty of manufacturers making models with approved flotation.

What manufacturer/models are you looking at? Something else to consider is that often the boats that are built as commercial use only for this purpose are also built extremely beefy, to withstand running over trees and logs, through mud, etc. etc. So if you want a very well built boat you may want to go that route and add your own flotation if you desire. Its easier to add foam than ribs etc.

My Jon is actually listed as commercial. I was told it was because it didn't have a center bench seat. (which would also be filled with flotation foam). I was also told that it opened up the possibilities of engine HP and there wasn't a limit. Common sense always has limits though. My boat is also VERY stout and built like a tank. Very thick and high back transom. I never looked into any of this and never had a problem with it either. It's been a good boat.

fender66 said:
My Jon is actually listed as commercial. I was told it was because it didn't have a center bench seat. (which would also be filled with flotation foam). I was also told that it opened up the possibilities of engine HP and there wasn't a limit. Common sense always has limits though. My boat is also VERY stout and built like a tank. Very thick and high back transom. I never looked into any of this and never had a problem with it either. It's been a good boat.

Same here. I try to only buy a aluminum boats with commercial plates on them. My Alweld has commercial plates. I like the unrestricted HP and they are built way better.

Latest posts