Carpet Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cavman138

Reaction score
OK guys, I'm on the verge of doing my carpet and had a question. I am planning on wrapping the edges of the carpet to the underside of the compartment hatches to prevent fraying. My question is, how do you wrap the edges of the carpet and still keep the hatches flush with the rest of the deck? If I just wrap the edges, it will lift up the compartments about 1/8th of an inch. How do yall keep everything flush?

If you wrap the carpet around the edge of your deck and compartments then it should all sit on that 1/8th inch of carpet. If you have a large space between edges you can just put strips of carpet in the open areas to level it out so you don't have a soft spot. Good chance your gonna have scrap pieces left over and it doesn't have to look pretty it'll be on the bottom.

basshunter25 said:
If you wrap the carpet around the edge of your deck and compartments then it should all sit on that 1/8th inch of carpet. If you have a large space between edges you can just put strips of carpet in the open areas to level it out so you don't have a soft spot. Good chance your gonna have scrap pieces left over and it doesn't have to look pretty it'll be on the bottom.

Then how do you attach your decking?

Self tapping stainless steel screws through the carpet, wood, and into framing. If your able to get underneath your deck then you can use bolts. Are you trying to glue and trim carpet where deck meets boat? I did see one mod where a guy tuck in the edges but i believe its easier to glue, wrap, and staple.

I glanced at your project page, and saw you are using wood decking. Thus, use 3/4" ply for the deck, and 5/8 for the hatches.

Or, use a router (or table saw with dado blade) to cut a 1/8" rabbit in around the edge of the ply, with a, say, 1.5 inch width. Wrap your carpet into the rabbit, cutting the edge right at the edge of the rabbit. Not only do the lids sit flush, but the edge of the carpet on the bottom of the hatch is flush, and less likely to peel away.

basshunter25 said:
Self tapping stainless steel screws through the carpet, wood, and into framing. If your able to get underneath your deck then you can use bolts. Are you trying to glue and trim carpet where deck meets boat? I did see one mod where a guy tuck in the edges but i believe its easier to glue, wrap, and staple.

Will the screws bury themselves into the carpet? This was my original plan, but am worried about the screw heads being seen.

bassboy1 said:
I glanced at your project page, and saw you are using wood decking. Thus, use 3/4" ply for the deck, and 5/8 for the hatches.

Or, use a router (or table saw with dado blade) to cut a 1/8" rabbit in around the edge of the ply, with a, say, 1.5 inch width. Wrap your carpet into the rabbit, cutting the edge right at the edge of the rabbit. Not only do the lids sit flush, but the edge of the carpet on the bottom of the hatch is flush, and less likely to peel away.

Marine grade is too expensive to buy another sheet just to make the hatches. How difficult would it be to route around the hatches? I had also thought of doing this.

Glad to know I am in the right ball park since both of yalls ideas were ideas that I have had. Thanks for all the input.

cavman138 said:
basshunter25 said:

Will the screws bury themselves into the carpet? This was my original plan, but am worried about the screw heads being seen.

I was planning on bolting or screwing on little pucks to the deck, then carpeting the deck, then screwing the pucks to the frame to keep this from happening, like a counter top is done. IF I can get to them all. If not then I was going to make a little slit, screw it, then glue the heck out of it.

cavman138 said:
basshunter25 said:

I was planning on bolting or screwing on little pucks to the deck, then carpeting the deck, then screwing the pucks to the frame to keep this from happening, like a counter top is done. IF I can get to them all. If not then I was going to make a little slit, screw it, then glue the heck out of it.

They will bury pretty well. If your that worried you could take some touch up paint to match the carpet and hit all the heads after they are installed. I wouldn't be too worried about it though
If you wrap and screw over carpet you know that the edges won't fray cuz if you accidently cut too much while trying to trim to the edge your screwed.

My uncles Ranger Cherokee has the screws through the carpet. Seems to have worked well, they were very hard to find. I plan on using a solering iron. Mock up the and mount the panels, then glue the carpet on, then open up the screw holes with the iron.

Jamie

Latest posts