Wet boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteMoose

Reaction score
I know boats are meant to get wet, but I still don't like it. My new carpet and decking received its first exposure to the weather this weekend. I was out in a pretty good downpour Sunday afternoon (at least an inch of rain fell on me), but catching crappies like crazy, not to mention a bonus stringer of walleye. I'd like to leave the boat out in the sun all day to dry, but its been raining off and on every day this week. So, I've had it in the garage since Sunday night with 2 fans blowing on it, and the carpet is still wet. How bad is this really for the carpet and plywood? Its a good quality carpet, and I went over the wood with Thompsons of course, but after 3 days of not drying out, the carpet is definitely starting to smell.
Even if it weren't still raining outside, what is the better way to dry out your boat? I know that too much sun exposure isn't exactly good for your carpet either.

It's probably going to take awhile to dry-out with the fans, but not much you can do other than wait for a dry day and roll the boat outside. Can you put the boat in the shade under a tree or something?

... and this is why I don't recommend carpet and wood.

Unfortunately, there's not a lot that you can do about it. Knock on wood, cross your fingers and pray when you pull it out into the sun that your decks don't curl up like a Pringle's potato chip to boot. I would just about bet you that your plywood now has soaked up a decent amount of water after sitting that long, even with the Thompson's treatment.

If you can find a place outside in partial sun to let it dry out, I would go that route over pulling it out in the direct sunlight and trying to bake it out in a hurry.

I would just leave it outside even thought it is raining on and off. It is already wet, a shower wont hurt it any, but it will get some much needed drying time in between periods of rain. By the time the sun is shining it should be fine.

If my boat gets caught in the rain I just leave in outside with the cover off and wait for the rains to end. I make sure I got the bow up good so that it'll drain.

We trap and hunt beavers on the rivers here in SC and water in the boat is going to happen, some of that will be very stinky water in the winter. I was thinking of a sealer that is like a hard shell for the top and side of everything wood. Poly something, would this be sufficient to deal with rain and the water without allowing the water to soak into the wood instead of a Thompsons type product? What is that crap they put on bar tops called, that is what I was thinking of.

ihavenoideawhattoput said:
I was thinking of a sealer that is like a hard shell for the top and side of everything wood. Poly something, would this be sufficient to deal with rain and the water without allowing the water to soak into the wood instead of a Thompsons type product? What is that crap they put on bar tops called, that is what I was thinking of.

It's probably a resin of some kind. A couple of guys here have fiberglassed their plywood and have done a really nice job of it. It's a lot of work but probably less than having to tear everything apart to replace carpet and wood in a few years. I think one problem with any of the finishes is that every screw or bolt you put into the plywood makes a hole through the water barrier. Generally people are careful to silicone any screws or bolts that go into the hull but I suspect not many deal with every screw in the interior. I think everyone here is more careful then the factory would be. My brother's Crestliner factory interior had carpet stapled over treated plywood and screwed to whatever the frame was. His boat was stored in a garage but he used it in any weather and every fall pressure washed the carpet to clean all the fish stuff out of it. I'm not aware that he's ever had any problems with it.

what is that crap they put on bar tops called, that is what I was thinking of.

There are different names from different manufactures..... but the kind I use is called Mirror coat. It's a 2 part mix. The problem with it is it self levels and will run all over the place if not put on a level surface. It is not a mulitiple coat application so its is literally poured onto the surface, pushed around and allowed to self level, You then have to hit the stuff with a torch. The biggest issue with it would be that it has ZERO UV PROTECTION.

The best method would be to Glass em', if not then use a quality spar urathane.

bobberboy said:
I was thinking of a sealer that is like a hard shell for the top and side of everything wood. Poly something, would this be sufficient to deal with rain and the water without allowing the water to soak into the wood instead of a Thompsons type product? What is that crap they put on bar tops called, that is what I was thinking of.

It's probably a resin of some kind. A couple of guys here have fiberglassed their plywood and have done a really nice job of it. It's a lot of work but probably less than having to tear everything apart to replace carpet and wood in a few years. I think one problem with any of the finishes is that every screw or bolt you put into the plywood makes a hole through the water barrier. Generally people are careful to silicone any screws or bolts that go into the hull but I suspect not many deal with every screw in the interior. I think everyone here is more careful then the factory would be. My brother's Crestliner factory interior had carpet stapled over treated plywood and screwed to whatever the frame was. His boat was stored in a garage but he used it in any weather and every fall pressure washed the carpet to clean all the fish stuff out of it. I'm not aware that he's ever had any problems with it.

Thank you but I just did some quick research and found out the thompsons is the better option, to use a hard sealer you have to seal all the way around. Water can come up from the bottom and make things worse because it can not get out.

Thank you but I just did some quick research and found out the thompsons is the better option, to use a hard sealer you have to seal all the way around. Water can come up from the bottom and make things worse because it can not get out.

Don't use Thompson's! Thompson's Water Sealer is pure junk.

They should have a giant disclaimer on the can that says "Not for use in boats underneath carpet and this product only holds up to one month of exposure regardless."

There needs to be a big flashing banner at the top of the forum that says that too. :lol:

bobberboy said:

I suggest you research that a little further... If Thompson's is so great, then why do they suggest you recoat it so often??? Are you prepared to completely tear apart and reseal it all every couple years??? I know I'm not.

The only way you will get two years out of Thompson's is if the boat stays in the garage and you don't fish very often. Even at that, it probably wouldn't last two years. :lol:

I suggest you research that a little further... If Thompson's is so great, then why do they suggest you recoat it so often??? Are you prepared to completely tear apart and reseal it all every couple years??? I know I'm not.[/quote]

not the brand but type product sorry, for some reason when it just comes out that way. Note to self use sealer instead of the word Thompsons. Sorry to go off topic :(

Quackrstackr said:
The only way you will get two years out of Thompson's is if the boat stays in the garage and you don't fish very often. Even at that, it probably wouldn't last two years. :lol:

I agree.... we did our deck with it two summers ago, and today it looks like raw wood already. :twisted:

I suggest you research that a little further... If Thompson's is so great, then why do they suggest you recoat it so often??? Are you prepared to completely tear apart and reseal it all every couple years??? I know I'm not.

not the brand but type product sorry, for some reason when it just comes out that way. Note to self use sealer instead of the word Thompsons. Sorry to go off topic :([/quote]

lol.... no one will judge you sir, we a big happy family around here..... just don't wan't you walking down the tracks with out at least hearing the "whooo whooo" :LOL2:

A high dollar sealer of that type isn't going to last either. It's not really made for treating plywood.

I use the highest quality stuff that I can get my hands on locally for my deck and it only beads water on the surface for about 3 months (but is guaranteed for 5 years). It's still protecting the lumber under the surface but when you are talking about plywood.. you start getting into glue joints that probably kept it from being absorbed any deeper anyway. Couple that with water being held against the wood for extended periods of time because of the wet carpet.. just not a good idea.

You need marine treated plywood or a sealer of some substance that makes a physically impermeable barrier. Not a sealer that goes on like water.

Just my $.02 from having way too many problems with plywood in boats.

What about using a carpet cleaner to suck up the water out of the carpet and clean it as well?

I used to use one on my old 18' Star Craft when it got really dank smelling. Worked pretty good.

Quackrstackr said:
A high dollar sealer of that type isn't going to last either. It's not really made for treating plywood.

I use the highest quality stuff that I can get my hands on locally for my deck and it only beads water on the surface for about 3 months (but is guaranteed for 5 years). It's still protecting the lumber under the surface but when you are talking about plywood.. you start getting into glue joints that probably kept it from being absorbed any deeper anyway. Couple that with water being held against the wood for extended periods of time because of the wet carpet.. just not a good idea.

You need marine treated plywood or a sealer of some substance that makes a physically impermeable barrier. Not a sealer that goes on like water.

Just my $.02 from having way too many problems with plywood in boats.

So where does one get marine treated plywood and cost? is it treated with the copper as well? what makes it better?

Most all lumberyards here stock it and I haven't bought any in a long time. The price is probably going to shock you a bit.

It is not copper treated but it is a lot more dense than run of the mill plywood. It doesn't have any voids, uses waterproof glues and is much stronger. You can still get CCA treated in some places (arsenic instead of copper).

https://www.helium.com/items/1124584-the-difference-between-marine-grade-and-pressure-treated-plywood

https://www.helium.com/items/1358476-replace-your-pontoon-boat-deck-with-marine-grade-plywood

Latest posts