Shaft length V.S. transom height

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madbasser

Reaction score
I have an old Alumacraft from 54 i believe (at least that's what the title says). Its a 12' semi V with a transom length of about 50" and height of 16". I have a 9.5hp Evinrude from 69' short shaft and if im measuring correctly it is 18" from the were the transom hits the mounting bracket to the cavitation plate. The boat moves ok, but does not plane. What would be the best trim angle to get the best performance and should i raise the motor a bit?
Also does anyone know were to find the "hull" number on these boats? Is it stamped on the aluminum anywhere? I replaced the transom board and found no ID plate.
Did these boats have model names or numbers? Mine just says "Aluma Craft Queen of the Water".

madbasser said:
I have an old Alumacraft from 54 i believe (at least that's what the title says). Its a 12' semi V with a transom length of about 50" and height of 16". I have a 9.5hp Evinrude from 69' short shaft and if im measuring correctly it is 18" from the were the transom hits the mounting bracket to the cavitation plate. The boat moves ok, but does not plane. What would be the best trim angle to get the best performance and should i raise the motor a bit?
Also does anyone know were to find the "hull" number on these boats? Is it stamped on the aluminum anywhere? I replaced the transom board and found no ID plate.
Did these boats have model names or numbers? Mine just says "Aluma Craft Queen of the Water".

Your cavitation plate should be within an inch below your boat.

I don't think they were too strict about the HIN#'s in the 50's, it will usually be stamped on the outside of the transom in one of the upper corner's.

I dunno about the motor... I still haven't figured that out yet

BUT - you probably won't have an HIN on your boat... they didn't start requiring HIN #s til 1972

madbasser said:

Finding trim angle will involve trial and error, with each one. Those motors ran a little long for a reason. I wouldn't go raising them up too much.

So what would be a good starting point for the trim. Straight up and down?

When the motor is in the water, the cavitation plate is 4" under the water. Running at full throttle it is at least 2" almost 3" under water.

Latest posts