More rivets leaked with water IN the boat.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlejohn

Reaction score
When we put the boat in the water last weekend, we found a few rivets that seeped. They weren't all that bad, so I wasn't really all that worried about them. Yesterday afternoon I decided to rebuck them so I filled the boat up with water. Just about every rivet on the bottom was leaking and the ones along the front bench seat you'd have thought weren't even there. Those were just pouring water through. I guess with the boat in the water, the water pressure shoved them all up, thus closing them and sealing them. But with the water pressure coming from the other side, it shoved them all down and opened them.
I was looking forward to only having to fix three or four and ended up doing just about every one. There are still some I weren't able to get to because the boat was on the trailer, so I'll have to take it off and do them tomorrow. Some just need to be replaced.
I'm thinking of borrowing a welder and spending next weekend welding them all so it won't ever leak again. Should I? I'd rather just spend the time to fix it all at once and not have to rebuck rivets again later on.

crazymanme2 said:
Just rebuck them & you'll be OK.

x2 - I should have done this, but I welded - it caused more leaks because there was a tiny gasket between the metal sheets that burned out with welding.

ihavenoideawhattoput said:
What is rebucking?

A rivet, when new, looks like a mushroom. The mushroom head is called the factory head and the smooth cylinder end (the end you place in the drilled hole) is the Buck-tail. Bucking is deforming metal, you use a bucking bar and a hammer to deform to a particular shape, or you can use just a hammer. You also will need a type of rivet-set behind (backing up) the factory head of the rivet. A rivet set has the right type of depression in it to fit the factory head perfectly so no other deforming takes place; most times we just use another hammer as the rivet-set.

So, basically re-bucking is what we need to do to re-set old rivets that are leaking.

Rat said:
ihavenoideawhattoput said:
What is rebucking?

A rivet, when new, looks like a mushroom. The mushroom head is called the factory head and the smooth cylinder end (the end you place in the drilled hole) is the Buck-tail. Bucking is deforming metal, you use a bucking bar and a hammer to deform to a particular shape, or you can use just a hammer. You also will need a type of rivet-set behind (backing up) the factory head of the rivet. A rivet set has the right type of depression in it to fit the factory head perfectly so no other deforming takes place; most times we just use another hammer as the rivet-set.

So, basically re-bucking is what we need to do to re-set old rivets that are leaking.

Figured that was what it was but thought I better ask before I take to hammering leaving rivets and making things worse.

I think I'm just going to leave my boat alone now. We took it out yesterday and I put more water in the boat with the paddle than was leaking in through the rivets. No sense tackling it again.

Latest posts