Adding Foam?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudpuppy77

Reaction score
Hello all. I am a newbie on the site and to boating as well. I am doing a mod on a 1960 Crestliner and am wondering about adding foam. There was a minimal amount of foam under a few of the seats when I gutted it and I do want to add some back but I would rather not pay $40 a sheet for the pink insulating foam.
Does anyone have suggestions on cheap foam or other products that would serve the purpose?

Thanks!

bout the only other thing you can use cheap is the foam that you cut out... just cut it into pieces and put it back.

when I cut my middle benches out and took out the foam, I didn't replace any of it

you could build a moold in the shape you need and use the spray foam to fill it.
then trim it to fit that should work

Is there a product out there similar to the "great stuff" spray foam but in larger quantities? I think I would have to use 50 cans if I went with the regular size.

I don't think so... I thing the closest thing to it is the actual stuff they use in the boats. But I'm pretty sure that is a 2 step process and comes in Gallon buckets like paint - and I don't think it's very cheap. It's self expanding too

You could duct tape old 2 and 3 liter coke bottles together. I am thinking about it myself, although I am shying away from it for purely aesthetic reasons. It also might take a lot of bottles, as each 2 liter probably provides around 2 pounds of buoyancy and thats it.

Great stuff has as much in common with a sponge as it does with closed cell flotation foam. There are uses for it for people with tin boats, but I dont think I would depend on it to help me at all if I were sinking.

mudpuppy77 said:
Is there a product out there similar to the "great stuff" spray foam but in larger quantities? I think I would have to use 50 cans if I went with the regular size.

Yep, but it ain't exactly cheap. Like Russ said, it comes in two separate cans. You have to add equal amounts, mix it for a certain number of minutes, then be ready to pour right then and there. It will expand to something like 5 times it's size, whether you have poured it or not.

redbug said:
you could build a moold in the shape you need and use the spray foam to fill it.
then trim it to fit that should work

Once for shipping something I filled a trash bag full of foam, stuck it in the box with my item and closed the lid, Worked pretty well. The second time. :)

$40/sheet? What thickness do you want?

I bought 1 1/2" thick sheets (the blue kind) for $22/sheet at a local building supply.

A 4 x 8 sheet of 1/2" pink is about $10 at Home Depot.

Brine said:

I bought 1 1/2" thick sheets (the blue kind) for $22/sheet at a local building supply.

I was quoting the 2" sheets which are $40. Obviously the same as buying four 1/2" sheets for $10 each.

Thanks to all for the suggestions! I guess I will bite the bullet and buy the sheets. I would rather not mess with the liquid stuff and end up having a boat full of foam.

mudpuppy77 said:
Brine said:

I was quoting the 2" sheets which are $40. Obviously the same as buying four 1/2" sheets for $10 each.

Thanks to all for the suggestions! I guess I will bite the bullet and buy the sheets. I would rather not mess with the liquid stuff and end up having a boat full of foam.

A boat full of foam might be interesting if you are sitting in it at the time it's filled. :lol: