Should I buy this trolling motor?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Yachtsman

Reaction score
Motorguide 54# FW-HB, 48" shaft. The seller is asking $225. He says it's about three years old but has seen limited use. And, oh yeah, it does have a propellor. I would use it on my 14' flat. Would I be able to use it from the bench seat or would I need to sit higher? What do you think? Good deal or not?

motorguide3.jpg

motorguide2-1.jpg

motorguide1.jpg

depends on personal preference, if you want new and something to last awhile, or just something to last a few years. Looks like you can get a 55lb 50" shaft from bass pro for about $414.99. So your getting about 1/2 off. Doesn't seem like a bad deal to me. But I like my stuff nice and new, and to know what its been through.

Personally, I would pass since it's hand control. You would need a handle extension to use from the front bench. You can get the fw40fb from walmart for $299. Its 40# foot control with 42" shaft which should push a 14' boat just fine.

that's a good deal for a 54lb hand control bow mount - even used.

A buddy has one on his 1436, he has a lower floor in the front of his 1436, and he also has an 18" extension handle. He wants a foot control, but he said he's so used to the hand control that he doesn't want to change

Okay, thanks to those of you who offered opinions. The handle extension is an issue I didn't take into consideration, since my current transom mount conversion has an extending handle. I could go either way on the hand or foot controls. I will buy used if the item appears to be in good shape and is a very good deal. I looked at Walmart.com and couldn't find a $299 trolling motor, so it's possible it's a discontinued model or sold out. I think I am going to offer $200 and see if the seller bites. It may not be exactly the one I want, but I could get my money out of it if I decided to sell it down the road.