A few adhesive questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jovush

Reaction score
I have access to a glass bead filled epoxy that can be used to bond aluminum. I have a Richline that I hope to have in the water soon after rebucking some rivets and getting the motor purring. My first question....could this epoxy be used to smooth the transition where the "runners" attach to the bottom? I think this would keep water from catching under any area that may be gapped and make an all around smoother bottom. (#2) I have several gallons of regular epoxy, can this be used like Steelflex? (#3) I've used Marine 5200 mixed 50/50 with toluene for a kind of paint...wonder how this would work on the inside of an aluminum boat? Would possibly dampen a little noise and make a softer surface for bare feet and seal a few leaks from the inside.

Would the areas where rivets are used to bond overlapping panels benefit from a smooth transition? I have some specialized epoxy that is designed to bond aluminum panels in the auto industry. I;m thinking of mating the two surfaces along their leading edges to help water flow better across bottom. Has anyone tried something like this? I may try and post a pic to demonstrate my idea.

You might wanna post a pic - I'm having a hard time trying to figure out exactly what you are trying to do

I have no idea about your mixtures and painting though... I used hydroturf to give the cushiony feeling

I think he is trying to smooth out the seams in his hull but in all honesty, most aluminum boats are not high performance enough to see any real advantage in a slippery smooth bottom.

Latest posts