Sandblast or not?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howard

Reaction score
I have a 1648 that needs the paint removed. I am comfortable with a professional sandblasting firm to do it. The question is if you would go back and pay someone $150 to have yours stripped. Looking back would you have now paid that amount of money-- would of it been worth it, supplies, your time, ect? Thanks in advance.

That seems cheap to me. I am about to start stripping my boat and maybe should consider this. I don't know how much the stripper will cost but you could subtract that amount from the cost of sandblasting to see the difference.

depends if you have more time or money.

right now I have more time :wink:

I have an electric sander, so I would just need sandpaper sheets.

No, looking back I would have rented the biggest compressor I could of and bought the equipment. Total less than $100.

Thanks! I have little time and money but I love the word "worth" If it does a better job quicker for a little more $ I just think it might be worth it. I have called around the metro Atlanta area and can not rent one ( balster) for under $150 and would have to pay for the sand, walnut shells or whatever. Found a place that dips car chasis but my boat will not fit into the tank. If you have been there done it, I would love your opinion.....

I took the boat to the sandblaster and he said they would use glass beads which are softer. He said it would take 2 hours but would do for $150 if I could leave it with him a couple of days. That way he could pull it in and out in-between big jobs. Probably will get done on someone else's dime. Oh yea, he is a fisherman who has worked on Jon boats with his buddies!

$150 is a good deal. Sandblasting will remove paint and corrosion that you can not get at with sandpaper. When you repaint it, the new paint will cover spots that were sandblasted which will help keep corrosion from coming back. I used to know a guy that painted tractor trailer trucks in the custom paint schemes the drivers wanted and he sandblasted the whole truck first. The paint jobs turned out much better.

KMixson- thanks, I told him I just needed it paint ready and he said it will be all down to bare aluminum. Wish I could of put it in a dip tank for chemical strip but it was to big. Car chasis really come out good under this method. By the way, love Charleston and hope to retire there. Often go to sisters condo in Pawleys Island and dine in Georgetown.

Using a media like glass bead is probably best, as sand can really pit up aluminum. I have a small sandblasting rig for my other hobby, but never used it on a boat. I imagine it would take a very long time to do a whole boat with it. The pros use much larger nozzles with lots of air available so they can make quick work of it.

Matt

Also: get it in primer right away. It can start corroding quickly after being blasted.

Latest posts