Patch or Weld?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bass4Ever

Reaction score
Hello all,

Well I am about to start customizing my 1970 14' Sea Maid boat but before I do I have 3 cracks in the bottom of the bottom. I want to get this taken care of before sanding, priming and painting. Since my boat is narrow, I guess from reading alot here there really isn't alot I can do or what I really wanted to do after seeing some of the sweet looking boats here.

Anyways my question is, due to the locations of these cracks, would you have these cracks welded or use some form of sealer? Each crack is about 1" long. Previous owner used something to seal them but I have no idea how old that stuff is.

I did a search on google for patching aluminum jonboats and came up with a product from Cabelas called "Cabela's Aluminum Boat Patch". Only costs $7.99, but the old saying is sticking in the back of my mind "You get what ya pay for".

Pic attached.
Boat Photos 007.jpg

Thanks for your time and help. Much Appreciated.

My opinion (stressing "MY") is that if you can get it welded then that's what I would do, and did for my boat. It will be stronger and last forever if done correctly. It will cost you more than 7.99, but like you said...you get what you pay for. (my weld was only one hole in the front and cost me 15 bucks...I gave the guy a 20 and was thrilled) I also know from experience that a leaking boat will not let you relax and fish like you want to.

Good Luck.

Chris,

Thanks for your reply. Yeah I am leaning on getting it welded. I did make a couple of calls and one place specialized in Aluminum welding and they want $40/hour which I feel would give me more peace of mind out on the lake fishing then a quick and cheap patch job. Kinda on a tight budget right now, but I would rather extend my budget alittle(hearing the wife throw a fit now) then have a boat sink on me for a cheap patch job (unless she is in the boat too). Nah just kidding there ;) she is my fishing buddy. Just wished she would take the fish off the darn hook when she catches them, lol.

Again thanks for your opinion Happy :fishing:

Thanks folks for your replies. Well welding it is. Also going to have them check the rest of the boat over to make sure all other seams are good to go too. Hate to have them weld these 3 spots, bring it home. mod it and once on the water notice a few more spots where water is seeping in only to have to disassemble everything and take it back to them.

Again thanks for your input as it is well taken ;)

Pay double close attention to the transom welds as those will be holding the weight of your motor.

Funny add I saw on Craigslist was proof enough. Read something like this:

Bass boat for sale. Great shape. No motor. If you want that, you'll have to dive for it at the bottom of lake ....

Latest posts