Sealing Mounting brackets

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bass4Ever

Reaction score
Hi all,

As I am about to start modding my boat and a thread here (My 1436... or wait.. 1432 mod) inspired me as I have a 1432 Sea Maid.

I have been wondering what sealants you use when you install the mounting brackets for your deck framing to keep from leakages. I am assuming (hate using that word) that you use rivets or bolts to mount "L" brackets or other brackets to the hull of the boat on the vertical framing components.

I also will have some other questions as I read the thread "Decking-When and when not to." and got alittle depressed when reading about the 32" section, lol. But then I read dyeguy1212's thread on his customization and perked up alittle. I will get a few good pics tomorrow of my boat and make some diagrams to show what I am asking in another thread.

I think I am going to construct the customizations prior to paint and remove until the painting portion is done then sit everything in place and mount and go.

Thanks for your help in advance, greatly appreciated.

Glad I gave you some hope :lol:

It can be done, you just have to watch your step. Heck, I come close to falling in about once a week on my 1648.. not much of a multi tasker :roll:

As for the brackets, I believe most people try to mount them to the ribs or supports that come stock in the boat. Its pretty rare someone mounts a bracket straight to the hull, but I'm sure it can be done. I'd assume the best way would be to rivet the bracket, and seal it with some 3M 5200 from the inside.

But if at all possible, you should stick to mounting to the ribs in the boat, benches, or anything else not separating you from the water

Latest posts