Beginner

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockytopthunder

Reaction score
I am looking into buying me a flat bottom jon boat. I have never owned a boat. Looking at 10-14 foot with a 10 hp engine. Any help would be helpful.

I bought a 1236 my first time around and a little over a year later I got a 1448. Go as big within your criteria as you can afford. Width is more important than length. A wide 12 footer is probably better than a narrow 14.

bobberboy said:
I bought a 1236 my first time around and a little over a year later I got a 1448. Go as big within your criteria as you can afford. Width is more important than length. A wide 12 footer is probably better than a narrow 14.

+1. I would go as wide as I could.

Truckmechanic said:
bobberboy said:

+1. I would go as wide as I could.

+2

I bought my 1648 in December of last year...then my 1756 last Tuesday! Now I have to sell my 1648. I'll sure miss her, but bigger IS better for me.

jasper60103 said:
or find a buddy with a boat. Offer to buy gas, bait, etc.
Then you can fish, relax and enjoy being
chauffeured around. :mrgreen:

For a long time this is kind of exactly what I did. I found a bass club in my area that accepted non-boaters. I fished with them for 2 years and pretty much fished with someone different every time. It was awesome!! I learned a ton on techniques, boating, upkeep, trailering, etc. Really great experience for me. I also learned a lot about the lakes in my area and am a lot more comfortable going out to fish them then I would have been trying to learn everything by myself.

altimas said:
jasper60103 said:

For a long time this is kind of exactly what I did. I found a bass club in my area that accepted non-boaters. I fished with them for 2 years and pretty much fished with someone different every time. It was awesome!! I learned a ton on techniques, boating, upkeep, trailering, etc. Really great experience for me. I also learned a lot about the lakes in my area and am a lot more comfortable going out to fish them then I would have been trying to learn everything by myself.

Good point, but there's still nothing better than the freedom of having your own boat.

BaitCaster said:
altimas said:
jasper60103 said:

Good point, but there's still nothing better than the freedom of having your own boat.
=D>

BaitCaster said:
altimas said:
jasper60103 said:

Yeah but I just got mine Saturday, so I don't know that yet. :D

"Good point, but there's still nothing better than the freedom of having your own boat.[/quote]

Yeah but I just got mine Saturday, so I don't know that yet. :D[/quote]

Congrats!! =D>

A lot of smaller lakes have an under 10 hp limit on motors. So if you are going to stay around the 10 hp motor size go with the 9.9hp. That will allow you to fish big and small water. Or get a bigger motor and paint 9.9 on the side of the motor. (not)

I have a Lowe 1236 and it is pretty much perfect for me. It is rated for up to a 10hp motor. I normally fish with another experienced person with no problems, and on the off chance I am alone it is small enough to load and unload by myself.

Latest posts