2009 Lowe 1436L Jon Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmzachar

Reaction score
This will hopefully be where I post some of my ideas of what I'm going to end up doing with this boat. Also, I'm looking for some input as I really don't have any experience in boat mods...

Anyways, there was a tornado a month back at the Cabela's store that I work at which banged up all of our outside boats. They finally decided to sell the ones that got dented and scratched and I was able to get this boat for $299, which I'm hoping was a good deal. I'm not too sure what the actual going price is, but I know MSRP is over $700, so I'm thinking it was a good buy on my part. Here are some pictures of the boat that I took, pretty much a dent on the back corner, a scratch along the side, and a dent in the seating. I'm not too worried about all that as the boat itself is in great shape, or at least I hope so.

Seeing as I don't have an unlimited amount of money to spend, or much at all, I'm looking to do this for as cheap as I can while still maintaining good results. I'm still looking around on what to do as far as a deck and all that for this, that will come later. What I'm looking for now is a trolling motor, a small outboard motor for this, as well as a suitable trailer.

I'm searching craigslist for a trailer as I don't know where else to find one for cheap other than there, any other ideas? Outboard motor, I'm not sure how big to go as I'm only going to be fishing small inland lakes, no big water at all. As far as trolling motors, I can get good deals on used trolling motors through work, but wasn't sure as to how much thrust I would really need. There is a 40lb thrust MotorGuide® Bulldog Foot-Control Transom Mount-Trolling Motor that I could get up there for around 140$. Would that be sufficient for this boat? I can get bigger ones up there too, this was just one of the cheaper foot controlled ones that I saw that I can get for cheap.

Thanks for any input on my initial questions here. I'll be adding more once I get an idea of what kind of layout I'll be doing on this.

Welcome Aboard !

Couple Quick Questions For You. . .

Is It Going To Be Just A Small Lake Boat, Or Also A River Boat? Can Help Determine Best Motor ( Outboard & Trolling) Size.

Mainly A Bass, Panfish, Or Catfish Boat? Can Also Help Determine Layout And Specific Modifications.

Make A Pot Of Coffee, Then Look Through All The Different TinBoats Here To Get Ideas Of The Features You Want To Install On Your Boat.

Where Are You Located? Might Update Your Profile With A City/State, And Maybe Find A Fellow TinBoater Somewhere Close By.

Welcome :D You will find tons of info on this site! I agree with countryboy210 about making some coffee and looking through this site. Definately use the "search" bar, it will help you find things on here a little faster. I am a fairly new member too. Anyway, not sure how much you can spend on a trailer, but if you can't find one through Craigslist or garage sales, I've seen a few people on here get trailers from Harbor Freight. Not sure of the quality, but looks like for a new trailer from HF could be around $300 with S&H. Not too bad :roll:

Scott P.
Huntington, IN
(weezer71)

countryboy210 said:
Is It Going To Be Just A Small Lake Boat, Or Also A River Boat?

Just a small lake boat. There are a lot of small lakes where I live here in south central Michigan, and that is where I plan to be using it. The biggest lake in the area is only about 1,500 acres. I may at some point down the line go on a river or bigger lake, but the vast majority would be on lakes 500 - 1,500 acres in this area.

countryboy210 said:
Mainly A Bass, Panfish, Or Catfish Boat?

Mainly bass, some panfishing too though.

countryboy210 said:
Where Are You Located? Might Update Your Profile With A City/State, And Maybe Find A Fellow TinBoater Somewhere Close By.

I live in Brooklyn, MI in the Irish Hills area. I live right on Wamplers Lake and am very close by to several other lakes. Anyone else in the Jackson/Lenawee/Washtenaw county area?

weezer71 said:
e seen a few people on here get trailers from Harbor Freight. Not sure of the quality, but looks like for a new trailer from HF could be around $300 with S&H.

Yeah, I've seen some mention of that on here and will look into that if nothing comes through on craigslist. Seeing as I live on a lake, I'm hoping I can find someone out here too selling a trailer. Is there anything specific that is needed for a jon boat trailer? I've seen a lot of different types of trailers people using on here. Thanks for the help so far!

WOW. tornado in MI? Never heard of that before and i've lived here all my life.

The damages aren't too bad. I've seen wayyy worse. As long as there is no holes or leaks you should be good. 40lbs thrust trolling motor should be enough, but more power is always better. Anyways good luck. I'm on craigs everyday in the boat section. I'll keep an eye out for a trailer for you.

koulaid said:
WOW. tornado in MI? Never heard of that before and i've lived here all my life.

The damages aren't too bad. I've seen wayyy worse. As long as there is no holes or leaks you should be good. 40lbs thrust trolling motor should be enough, but more power is always better. Anyways good luck. I'm on craigs everyday in the boat section. I'll keep an eye out for a trailer for you.

Yeah, back on June 6th down in Dundee. Cabela's only took a little bit of damage but the city got destroyed pretty good...

As far as trolling motors, I guess I'll just have to see what we got that I can get. If the item is used, I get 20-50% off cost, so it all depends on what we got in the Bargain Cave at work as to what I'll be using I guess. Will try and look for most thrust I can get.

I think the 40lber would be fine for a boat that size and the type waters your looking to fish in.
Welcome to the site.

As far as a trolling motor a 40lb would be more than enough but I would recommend a hand controlled mounted on the bow over a foot controlled. For me, a foot controlled in a small boat just takes up too much room and with an extension handle and a big foot switch a hand controlled is just as easy to use.