Tired of hot aluminum?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranchero50

Reaction score
Thought about this yesterday while working on the old river monster. While restoring my '71 F250 I read an article online (in hot rod I think) about using microscopic glass bead suspended in roof coating as firewall insulation. It worked rediculously well and has stood the test of time.

Got the glass beads from Wick's Aircraft supply (but I can't find where they are still selling them)
DSCF0952.jpg

Mixed up 50/50
DSCF0957.jpg

Sprayed on, water cleanup.
DSCF0958.jpg

Using an undercoating gun to spray it turns out like this. Looked pretty good and it didn't run.
DSCF0961.jpg

It actually worked pretty well. A drop light on the other side of the metal and it burned my hand. Droplight on the other side with a layer of beads and the panel was warm... It also cut down on the noise in the truck.

Here's a link to that part of the rebuild:

https://www.fordification.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=23972&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=45

I'm going to try and find another source for the beads and try this on the rails and other exposed aluminum surfaces.
Jamie

Look at fiberglass suppliers and in radient barriers. You should be able to find the glass beads there.

Latest posts