John Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadCatX

Reaction score
Alright guys - not sure of year or anything but I do know its a 1232 Jon Boat Non V-hull.

got some leaks and the boat needs some TLC. They tarred the bottom of this thing like you roll a house, not the complete bottom but definitely slathered on there in area.

Question is at the start of this project. What the easiest way to remove Tar? Chemical compound of sorts?

I think mineral spirits will take tar off. I would turn it over and lather on what ever eats tar, Mineral spirits, xylol, gasoline... what ever will eat it off and use a scraper to scrape off as much as you can. Then once it is mostly clean you should be able to sand it.

I just went through this on a $20 jon boat. I used a propane torch and putty knife to get the majority of it off.

Thanks Fellas - someone suggested one of those little hand held torches and a putty knife so it looks like elbow grease and time huh.

Hell Howard with the heat we've had last couple of weeks I could just put it in the sun and scrape it off with a spoon.

Not sure what they did it for...i think some of the rivets were worn and they just broad stroked it....
#-o

Have you guys seen the "Spyder Scraper"? It a scraper blade that fits into your sawz-all. It turns your sawz-all into a monster scraper. The good thing is, with variable speed, you get pretty good control. About 6-10 bucks depending on size.

Latest posts