How to rebuck rivets?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmallieBigs

Reaction score
I have a few rivets that are loose. Which part of the rivet gets hit with the hammer and which gets the big sledge against it? I read through about 10 different threads here and couldn't figure out which end to hit :shock:

Do you hit the mushroomed side (on the outside of the hull) or the straighter side (on the inside of the hull)?

Thanks,
SB

You hit from the mushroom side and the steel plate goes on the other side that needs to be flattened. Make sure you do a strike at a time or if you are using the air hammer tool to do little spirts so you can see how much you have done with the rivet.

WISHBONE said:
You hit from the mushroom side and the steel plate goes on the other side that needs to be flattened. Make sure you do a strike at a time or if you are using the air hammer tool to do little spirts so you can see how much you have done with the rivet.

Thank you very much sir,
SB

When I could not do that because I could not get to it, I used a big metal screw covered with clear silicone to seal the hole, worked every time.

rusty.hook said:
When I could not do that because I could not get to it, I used a big metal screw covered with clear silicone to seal the hole, worked every time.

Until you dislodge the screw then you have a giant hole in your boat. Right?

Latest posts