Should I buy it?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveInGA

Reaction score
Howdy,

Dave in Georgia here. I've got a question I haven't been able to figure out the answer to. I'm looking to buy a jon boat and can't figure out what size I need. I'm hoping you folks can help me figure it out.

I'm 51 years old, about 6 foot and about 300 pounds. (yes, my wife is good cook) My wife is about 5'3" and about 170 pounds I'm guessing. She's got some fear of the water. I used to love to fish years ago and want to get back into it.

Lots of electric only lakes here in GA and I live near one of them - Bear Creek reservoir. This lake has been stocked with FLA hybrids, channel catfish and blue gills. This is where I'll do most of my fishing. I may, at some time in the future, fish in larger lakes nearby such as Lake Lanier, Lake Hartwell and Lake Oconee. These are big, deep lakes with lots of boating activity in them, including very big boats (capable of ocean travel in some cases). But for most of my use, I'll be using two aft fixed trolling motors and a foot controlled troller fore in the electric only lakes.

I need a stable boat. I had a 15' 8" Gheenoe type boat and I liked it's speed over the water with a trolling motor, but it just wasn't stable enough for me and the wife. She gets nervous when the boat is that tippy. I'd like something I can stand and walk around in.

I'm thinking a wide jon boat would do the trick. But how wide and how long? 14-16 foot is probably in the range I can use on Bear Creek.

I have an opportunity to buy a 16' flat bottom boat from a guy, but he describes it as a "narrow" 16 footer. How narrow is a narrow 16 footer? Would it still be wide enough to be stable for me? I'm thinking 48" may be a minimum for me?

Can you folks help?

Thank you,

Dave

It all depends on how much you are willing to spend I reckon. I have a 1436 and it is too shaky for the woman too (I'm 6'3, 245lbs, she's 5'3, 125lbs). The wider the base, the more stability. But if this guy you speak of has a Topper style boat, I'd say no way. Depending on the year, at least in Tracker boats, they made a Topper model which was a panfish boat that was real long, but real skinny (only like 32 inch base) - sounds like this is what you are looking at. If you want to be happy, and I don't know your budget or if you want new/used, but Tracker just came out with a 15 footer that is real wide and real stable. I almost ditched my 1436 to get one, but I thought twice about forking out the money. They are selling like hotcakes though, mainly because of the stability, as it is the key feature. Since you are lake fishing, you may get a light chop depending on windage, and in that case, a v-hull boat may work better for you. I've always been a fan of the 14-16 foot Grizzly's. I know I am probably not giving you the answers you need, but hopefully I'm giving you another angle to look at it. I agree with Jim and the others though. I would keep it at least 48 inches wide. Anything less will be a headache.

Thanks for the welcome and the answers fellas. Where do I measure the 48 inches at? I forgot to ask that one. #-o I figure the bottom rear would be good, but I'm not sure.

Hooky, that Tracker boat may be just what I'm looking for. I'll have to take a look at it. Long and narrow didn't do it for me in the Gheenoe style boat for sure. I'm too stiff in the knees and couldn't wander around in that boat, making it pretty much useless for me to fish in.

Dave

Hello from Dacula, I am in your same situation. Just getting back into it now that my 2 are in college. I am 6'1" at 275, turning 50 and will be fishing the same lakes you will but will leave the wife at home :LOL2: Not that I don't love her but its just better off that way. I bought a 1648 and would not go smaller because of mobility, safety and comfort. Of course its easy for me to spend your money but that should be your target. All of those lakes can accommodate a boat of that size. I used to fish in a Geenoo and tried one similar this year and it was just to uncomfortable. BPS makes a 1542 which is a good boat for the price, almost picked one up but happen to stumble upon a 1648 for a good price, good luck

Don't discount the wide 14' boats. I can nearly stand on the gunwale of my 14' Polarkraft and I weigh 250 lbs.

Much of it depends on where you will do most of your fishing. 16' boats are good for 3 people, depending on layout of the interior.

Bigger is always better. :mrgreen:

Dave from GA,
great to see more Georgia boys on here! im not far from bear creek myself...VERY NICE PLACE TO FISH!! IM JUST DOWN THE ROAD A PIECE IN MONROE... i would deff. suggest a 15' tin and atlest 48" wide for the most stability as possible. ive got a 1436....really wantin a bigger tin but just cant spend that kind of money right now! the extra ft is a big difference and the width is a "need be" (the wider the better)...

look foward to seein the pics of you tin, i should have some of mine up asap!!!! waitin on the new camra cord to get here!

SUM-KINA :WELCOME:

Be warned, I have seen a couple 1636s. A 1648, or 1448 even, will be a very stable rig, dang near perfect for electric only fishing.

Georgia Boy here myself - south of you fellas down around Lake Blackshear

I tip the scales 6'2 - 340 and I stood up in a 12 ft crawdad boat in a pond - Oar powered the other day ;) - needless to say...I was very careful :shock:

My fishing partner traded a dirt bike for a 1560 - so I will let you know how it feels - hes about 175.

My old lady is the same way nervous on water and she said the 1560 "looked" stable for her to "try".

I would agree with the about 1448 - but I dont know if i would go smaller.

Hey hows the fishing on Lake Oconee and Lake Lanier? They got huge house boats on Lake Lanier near Cocktail Cove...but mane the lake looks like a fishing paradise in some areas, and hell at 15000ft it looks good to ;)

MadCatX said:
Georgia Boy here myself - south of you fellas down around Lake Blackshear

I tip the scales 6'2 - 340 and I stood up in a 12 ft crawdad boat in a pond - Oar powered the other day ;) - needless to say...I was very careful :shock:

My fishing partner traded a dirt bike for a 1560 - so I will let you know how it feels - hes about 175.

My old lady is the same way nervous on water and she said the 1560 "looked" stable for her to "try".

I would agree with the about 1448 - but I dont know if i would go smaller.

Hey hows the fishing on Lake Oconee and Lake Lanier? They got huge house boats on Lake Lanier near Cocktail Cove...but mane the lake looks like a fishing paradise in some areas, and hell at 15000ft it looks good to ;)

Lanier is awesome right now. Stripers and Spots all day. Love that place and I never got to cocktail cove as a matter of fact I stay far away.

If I ever get up that way to fish. (My Daddy lives near Cleveland Ga) I may ping you for some pointers on where to go. Striper fishing sounds great!

I have a 1642. It is a 1981 Fisher 16 Mod V and very stable. I was a little nervous at first when I got it home and measured it, but it works great. Any wider and it wouldn't fit in my garage.

Oconee is always good but depends on the weekend! if not a holiday you can stay away from skiers and jet skies....the winter time is even better!

lanier is very good....the spots are a freakin blast!!

hows blackshier?? never fished there...

Yep- love Lanier, helps to know the lake because of its size. Oconee has been tough on me but have caught some nice fish there. Great crappie lake!

Howard said:
Yep- love Lanier, helps to know the lake because of its size. Oconee has been tough on me but have caught some nice fish there. Great crappie lake!

yes oconee is a great crappie lake...but i also do alot of juggin on the lake outta blue springs snd suger creek with great fish! 31lb channel cat early spring and a 42lb blue cat last year and i cant tell you how many 10 and 15lbers....

Man yall got me ready. Lake Blackshear - is okay - its been tough on me as well. However to a more skilled Angler its probably better. Plus I havent really gotten a chance to get out there and navigate. That will change as now my best friend and I got a lake ready boat.

add another GA boy here too!! :LOL2: Up here in Marietta, fish Allatoona, Jackson, Oconee mainly and just secured my Grumman 1436 today in a horse trade. Lucky for me my wife hates fishing and fish!

I decided to pass on that 16' narrow boat. Price was great, but if it isn't going to meet the need, then it's no savings. I'll save a while longer and get the bigger boat.

I'm conflicted. I love fishing in a small lake like Bear Creek, but I also love the taste of striped bass. And that's saying something, since I never tasted them before I caught my first in Lake Lanier.

I think ultimately I should keep saving money until I get a boat the right size to fish both the big and small lakes. If I'm thinking right and based on the responses, that's gotta be either 1448 or a 1648.

Now I'm wondering if I should get a Flat bottom, ModV, or Deep V (high sides for the wife) and if what's the deciding factor in getting a 14 vs. 16 foot boat, considering the waters I want to fish.

Thanks everyone for their help,

Dave

P.S. Nice to see all you local men here. Anybody going fishing during the week that needs a partner, let me know, I'd be glad to go. I live in Jefferson now, moved there from Statham.