Question about Boat Registration

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadCatX

Reaction score
My friend just bought a boat - it looks like it has numbers on it but all he got from the guy he bought it from was a bill of sale. Not sure if it was notarized.

We are in Georgia does anyone know what we will need or not need or can we just contact DNR and get a number?

Any help would be great - I have been to the DNR site but was wondering if anyone went through it.

Some particulars - 1560 - Gas powered.

THe bill of sale has to be notorized. The GA DNR is really strict these days, I just went through a similar situation. You need to make sure that the guy he bought it from was the last REGISTERED owner. If not you have to track down that guy. Its a tedious process that way believe me. If it were me I would go to dnr website and get the Bill of Sale they provide take it back to the previous owner. Dont write down the registration numbers on the bos, if he is the last registered owner then you are good. Call DNR and they will send a ranger to slap a hull number on it and then you can register it. If he is not the last registered owner, take the numbers off and claim it as homemade. They will send a DNR guy out there and slap a hin on it and give you a new registration number.

PM me if you have any questions, I would be more than happy to help.

Have not been a Blackshear-- have fished a small lake in Cordele. It was on a golf course right on 75. I had to claim my trailer as homemade. Might have to do the same with my boat. I have a BOS from the seller who had no papers.

Howard said:
Have not been a Blackshear-- have fished a small lake in Cordele. It was on a golf course right on 75. I had to claim my trailer as homemade. Might have to do the same with my boat. I have a BOS from the seller who had no papers.

Send me that PM again, I cant seem to find it.

Alright will do - cant they trace down the numbers that are on the boat currently to the last register?

The reason i ask is the guy he got it from had the boat did the work to it - had it on the water once or twice but didn't have numbers and didn't take it back out.

I am going to talk to my friend look at the BOS and get some more info.

Thanks I will let you know how it works out.

Better be glad your not in Texas, NO TITLE, NO TITLE PERIOD, BILL OF SALE IS NO GOOD, and that's on boat and motor!! If a game warden stops you, he can check your registration from his onboard computer, so he's got ya!
Even if you only have a electric trolling motor, and no big motor, you still have to have a title. The key word in Texas is MOTOR, diesel, gas, electric does not matter.
The trailer is a different matter, it can be registered as a home built and get your plate.

MadCatX said:
Alright will do - cant they trace down the numbers that are on the boat currently to the last register?

The reason i ask is the guy he got it from had the boat did the work to it - had it on the water once or twice but didn't have numbers and didn't take it back out.

I am going to talk to my friend look at the BOS and get some more info.

Thanks I will let you know how it works out.

You have to have BOS's from all the owners since the last REGISTERED onwer. If not call DNR and you will have to send a certified letter to the last REGISTERED owner requesting the registration cards. If they dont repsond in two weeks you send back the delivery confirmation and they will issue the registration. A big hassle but it is doable. I can help I had the worst expirience with them but I GOT IT REGISTERED!

Yeah Bro sounds like you know all the angles on this - well I spoke to my friend and we at least know the name of the guy who had it registered so I think we will start there to see if he has the cards- dont know if he is in our area but going to try. If I am not mistaken the boat originated in NC.

Looks like the Saga starts - on a positive note i think we will be able to get the trailer registered as home built to at least get that legal.

We are just ready to get this joker in the water.