What is your ideal size/brand bass boat/motor for around $5k

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hydrilla

Reaction score
Now that the wife is my tournament partner, she wants me to upgrade this Fall/Winter :shock: I'm very thankful for my boat but a bigger one would be sweet. My budget will probably be no more than $5k, and I'm not looking to have to do a lot of mods, at least at first. As long as it is ready to go with a bow mounted TM, console, and livewell, I don't mind stuff like building an extended deck, etc. Oh and the HP limit for our tournament circuit is 60, so that kind of makes me think I shouldn't go bigger than 17', assuming a 50 or 60 pushes a boat that size ok. So what do you say? I know this has probably been asked a hundred times..

https://www.boattrader.com/listing/1998-TRACKER-PRO-TEAM-18-JET-97163392

1998 TRACKER PRO TEAM 18 JET, 18FT. ALUM. BASS BOAT WITH 120HP. MERCURY JET DRIVE AND CUSTOM TRALER. 800-783-9168
$3990

97163392_1thumb_550x410.jpg

Those late 90's 120 jets had powerhead issues. Run Forrest run.

Craiglist should get real active late fall, early spring for guys upgrading or waiting for tax time to dump the boat that sat outside all winter. Now is not the time to buy, but to sell.

Jamie

A good used Lowe, Alumacraft, Tracker in that order. Remember, judge a boat by its condition not its age. Just like that sweet motor you found. Craigs List, Boat Trader, News Paper, Post Board at your tackle shop and (yauk) e-bay. Don't get in a hurry. You got a nice boat to fish out of now (maybe a little cramped for two). Are you planning to post your boat for sale on the Tinboats? Oh, 17foot is a good size for two and at the 5grand level you should be able to get a really outstanding boat.

Sweet looking boat but I don't need a jet motor. Good to know there are nice rigs out there like that in my price range. Jamie, I agree.. I'll be probably looking either late Fall when people are thinking more about deer than bass. I like to kick tires for a long time so I know what I'm talking about. Like learning what will push a 16-17' boat well without having planing issues, I don't care about top speed as much. I see lots of 17 1/2' Trackers and such with 40hp motors and I wonder if that's really enough.

Yeah, I'm sure I'll sell my little boat when the time comes, and I would give anyone here a better deal than just anyone. I'll probably shed a tear over this boat going, I've gotten rather attached to it. But yeah it gets a little cramped with 2 people. My 5' tall wife isn't so bad, but two 200+ pound dudes... not great.

tccanoe said:
A good used Lowe, Alumacraft, Tracker in that order. Remember, judge a boat by its condition not its age. Just like that sweet motor you found. Craigs List, Boat Trader, News Paper, Post Board at your tackle shop and (yauk) e-bay. Don't get in a hurry. You got a nice boat to fish out of now (maybe a little cramped for two). Are you planning to post your boat for sale on the Tinboats?

I think you'll find a 17 foot with a 40 that has tilt/trim on it will do you fine. You trim it down as low as it will go to get up on plane and the work it up for speed. It well top out around 30/35 or so. Pleanty O' speed.

tccanoe said:
I think you'll find a 17 foot with a 40 that has tilt/trim on it will do you fine. You trim it down as low as it will go to get up on plane and then work it up for speed. It well top out around 30/35 or so. Pleanty O' speed.

$5k should get you a pretty nice rig, and as mentioned above, people will start putting their rigs up for sale around the Fall time frame usually. Below is a pic of the '05 Tracker PT175 I had, with a 50hp Merc on the back, livewell, front tm, and two fish finders. It would scoot pretty good with 3 adults, full gas tank, and tackle. I only had it in the water about 10 times and sold it to a TB member.

Stbd_view.JPG

Hydrilla, Look under Craigs List, Lexington, Ky Boats July 20 95 Bass Tracker Tourn. TX 17.

I'll go against the grain and say that a 40 is marginal for a finished out bass boat of 17'. The decks and carpet add a lot of weight.

I had a Lowe 16' bass boat with a 40 a few years ago and that thing was a dog. It would beat you to death in a chop, too.

My current 17 footer has a 90. (it scoots :LOL2: )

My 1648 with a 40 does alright. Pushes me around at 30, with all wood mods. An all aluminum boat would probably give you an extra 5 mph, give or take.

I'd take a 1754 with a 60 any day. I fish the rear of my buddy's 1754 (with a 40 horse) and its pretty comfortable, as long as you stay organized. With that being said, a 40 is WAY to small for that boat.

My old tin (which is still in the garage being finished) is a 1648 with a 40hp jet. It's an old alumiweld and it does great with speed and stability. (remember...with the jet, that's 28 hp at the jet). I just didn't have enough room to move around comfortably. Seating for 2 was about it, but I still got my family of 4 with the dog in there on occasion for a boat ride. Cramped, but it worked. My new tin is a Alweld 1756 and it's like night and day difference with room and maneuverability. My engine is a mute point because I'm at a level of overkill with a 225hp Merc/Jet. I've seen this same size boat move VERY well with a 90hp.

Good luck and don't get in a hurry.....it will pay off.

Thanks for the feedback y'all. I'm starting to see what's available on Craigslist, and then figuring it should be $1k or so cheaper in the off season.

Hydrilla I got a 17 foot with a 50 and it goes about 33-35 top speed (when I restore it in the fall I plan to cut down weight as much as I can) and I thought that would be enough but I want more now, but you have quite a budget to work with.. I like my 50 a lot but id be lying if I said I havent wanted it to be 60. With your budget find yourself a bass tracker with a 60hp.. condition is important yes but the newer tracker aseem to utilize space and storage better not to mention larger livewell compared to the older ones so stick with a tracker 60hp and maybe upwards of 1999.. id bet lurkin in the next few months when the season dies down you can find one for a good deal.. its not everyday you get a boat.. so aim for bigger and faster and in good condition. If I had 5k Id look for a 18 foot 2000+ bass tracker with a 60-70hp in good working shape!

I understand what you mean, and appreciate the input. I agree that sticking with 60 would probably be best, and there does seem to be some out there. I even found a couple 17' G3 boats with 60hp on them.

It seems like your question has already been delt with....now on a more important reference to your original post...

"she wants me to upgrade this Fall/Winter I'm very thankful for my boat"...

It seems your boat is not all you should be very thankful for....

Outdoorsman

Outdoorsman, I could not possibly agree with you more. She read this and it made her blush.

Outdoorsman said:
It seems like your question has already been delt with....now on a more important reference to your original post...

"she wants me to upgrade this Fall/Winter I'm very thankful for my boat"...

It seems your boat is not all you should be very thankful for....

Outdoorsman

Latest posts