Boat insurance.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have it on the Jon Boat but my dad has it on his Ranger.

It is insured through the same company as their house. State Farm I believe.

I think it used to run him a couple hundred bucks a year because he did alot of tourney fishing. But now its insured like a pleasure boat. So its much cheaper.

There was a thread about this a couple of months ago. It can be a little complicated because of the fact that the trailer is a "vehicle" and the boat is not. I have my 1448 w/25hp Merc insured through Progressive for about $100/year. When you are considering whether to insure or not, don't just think of replacement costs. Other things can happen too. Accidents, by definition, aren't planned events and they do happen. Medical and liability are also important issues and in our very litigious culture, you can get sued for just about anything. Best to insure. The price surely goes up with the value and hp, but worth it in any case.

I have mine insured the main reason is to protect my family and what we own.
for a couple hundred bucks a year i have 300k in liability that will protect me from being sued..
I also have 5k worth of tackle replacement

redbug said:
for a couple hundred bucks a year i have 300k in liability that will protect me from being sued..

What company, if you don't mind me asking?

I use anglers advantage. They cost a bit more than others but they sponsor our big fish prize if you have the insurance and are wearing the patch and win the big fish at the local level they add $100 at the nationals it is 5k
I have won the prize 3 times in the past 4 years all at the local level

I do have insurance through American Family. I've been warned by my local dealer that the 2 companies to use are either American Family or Prudential. Reason?......the other companies really nitpick the repairs and try to weasel you out of every penny they can. He's working a several claims a week during the summer so I'm trusting that he knows what he's talking about. My house is with AmFam so it was easy to do. Before I knew this info, my older tin was insured with State Farm. I learned that they were a LOT more expensive too.

Right now my boat/motor/trailer is insured for $18,000 with content at $3,000 and $300,000 for liability for each passenger and it's costing me $300 a year.
My old tin was insured for $3000 with content at $2000 and same liability. That was costing me $120 a year.

ihavenoideawhattoput said:
Do you have it?

Yes I have insurance.
Boat: 2000 Lund WC16
Motor: 1997 Suzuki 15hp 2 stroke
Trailer: 2006 King

I have learned my lesson by having a boat motor stolen.

Who do you have it with?

State Farm

Cost per year for what type coverage?

Cost per year is about $65. I have an agreed amount of $5000 for boat/motor/trailer. Coverage is full replacement in the event of an accident on or off the water or if it is stolen or damaged while being stored. My theory is there is a greater probability of damage while trailering or storing than on the water.

I do not carry liability due to the fact that most of my fishing is done on electric only lakes. I do have a 15hp motor for my boat; however, most fishing holes here are 8mph or less. The two or three times a year that I use it on open water is not worth insuring for liability.

I do have a boater’s safety card issued through the State of WA and that lowered my insurance by 15% I think.

In all, if something gets damaged or ripped off, I want to be able to replace it with the like/kind/quality of what I had.

I don't have it... yet.

Why? because I haven't gotten too it yet although it probably should have been one of the first things on my list. Thanks for reminding me. I will get on that before it moves again probably.

Why? I have learned the hard way seeing someone close to me make a mistake with insurance. Long story short my grandpa spent his whole life building up his machine shop, it was a tool and die co. out of TN called JIT Tooling and after retiring and shutting down he cancelled the insurance on the business a couple weeks before the auction to liquidate all his equipment was scheduled. No production was taking place and thus there was no revenue with a liquidation coming up why pay the expensive insurance one more month. Well a leak in a gas line met a short in an electrical wire and five CNC machines, more welders, presses, lathes, and etc. etc. etc than you have probably ever seen and would probably love to have became nothing more than they were worth in metal weight in a few instants. I've put some work and time into my tin as well as worked some overtime to pay for the parts I put in it, why risk all that going in an instant? Just not worth the risk.

redbug said:

I wonder if state farm will let me take out 3K replacement on the boat and 5K replacement on tackle?! And does that cover snags? :lol:

I had coverage on my rig (electric-only) through State Farm. It covered replacement of boat/trailer and just the stuff that came with the boat. It ran $70 a year. Haven't renewed it for this year as I haven't had the boat out this season, and probably won't.

Progressive
At only $100 a year I couldn't really justify not having it. Covers the boat and trailer. I'm more scared of other people causing damage to me, just being cautious.
I'm even covered to 75 nautical miles off shore. Somehow I don't think my little 1432 would do all that well that far out at sea.

If I'm not mistaken, anytime the trailer is connected to your truck, it is covered under the vehicle policy.

perchin said:
bassboy1 said:
If I'm not mistaken, anytime the trailer is connected to your truck, it is covered under the vehicle policy.

That's correct.

Myth: BUSTED!

That's entirely not true. Maybe for your insurance company but many do not cover it. If that was the case, the motor that was stolen off my boat would have been covered.

Either or, I'd call and ask your insurance company about it. Chances are good the boat/trailer/motor needs its own policy.

my auto coverage covers my boat and trailer in the event of an auto accident it will NOT cover anything stolen or braking down..
I had a trailer tire snap off during a trip down south it went through the windshield of an oncoming car that was covered in full by my auto insurance

redbug said:
I had a trailer tire snap off during a trip down south it went through the windshield of an oncoming car that was covered in full by my auto insurance

In that situation, your insurance company probably saved your butt. That other driver's insurance company could have easily come straight after you for the damages. On road liability may be covered if something catastrophic goes wrong, however, I'm sure your insurance would not cover the repair to your boat trailer.

I think that when you hook up a trailer to your vehicle it is covered under the vehicle insurance. When I drove trucks we never had to check each trailer we hooked to for insurance because it fell under the tractor's insurance. The trailer would be registered and licensed but not insured.

Again the trailer was probably not covered for loss or damage either those box trailers get pass around like $2 whores. The Tractor's insurance covers liability I'm faily sure.

Also if you are in an accident on the water you would not be covered at all. On an all electric lake not a big deal but if your in larger lakes like Lanier or on some of the bigger rivers I would say get it. People run people over all the time on Lanier I know.

the damage t my trailer was cover also i had to pay my 500 deductible
they driver was not hurt ut took the Summer off from work..
she came after me and my insurance paid her 25k. the following summer she came at me again looking for more money
i told my lawyer that they didn't print enough money to take away my guilt they made another offer she rejected it
her friends said she had a million dollar case that was not the facts.. she wound up with nothing after she said no to the last offer

Latest posts