Boat worth? 18' Monark

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orion_134

Reaction score
Found an ad on Craigslist that I know was on there a couple weeks ago and just got bumped. It's an 1972 18' Monark 7' beam "and 8" draft" with a 1983 50hp Johnson that "runs good but needs a lower unit". Has a galvanized tandem axle trailer, bimini top, and a 1-yr old CMC PT-130 (might be worth it for that :D ). Only scary part is that he says it has 3 automatic bilge bumps...either a big leaker or he's EXTRA careful? He wants $1200, what's a good price and what do y'all think I could get out of it with a little work?
Jesse

good price but you really need to go over it closely. I had my seller fill enough water in my tin to check for leaks and then I was able to get him to drop the price to compensate for the work that I was having to do. Look for painted over areas, silicone ect.

Do you still have your Lowe? 1200 bucks for a boat that ain't that much bigger than your Lowe. That money plus the fix-up cost would go a long way toward a total re-mod on your Lowe. But if your wife is like mine and dosen't mind two or three project boats sitting around in the yard....WHAT am I smoking?!?

That Monark is 2' wider at the beam and the length than mine. If anything I could take my engine and console/equipment and put it on this monster jon. I was going to buy it, maybe take the CMC and put it on my boat, get a lower unit and do some minor things and maybe try to flip the Monark. I found the boat by typing in CMC on CL.
Jesse

He said the water pump seal failed and let saltwater into the lower unit and stripped all the gears. Said it could be rebuilt. Is it cheaper to just find a lower unit or have it rebuilt?
I got some pics, the sole is fiberglass (who knows what's underneath), the trailer is a Sealion tilt, the motor runs, he said the transom is in good shape, "but would need a rebuild for anything over a 50", it's a riveted hole that has "a slow leak". Going to look at it on Tuesday.

I would look over boat and write down each fix needed and cost of each fix. Add it up and see where you are. Include your time, paint, stripper, supplies, ect

Cracked gunnels, poorly repaired, cracked/weak fiberglass sole, fiberglass repair all along the hull and transom (yes to an aluminum boat), wiring everwhere, motor sounded good but wouldn't turn prop in forward gear, all trailer tires flat...definitely a no...

Latest posts