best waterproof sealer on wood

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarkbre

Reaction score
When I built the deck for my boat, I finished it with an epoxy resin. I think I used 3 coats and it was around $50 for the 2 parts needed. The finished product was 3 clearcoats that's hard as a rock, leaving the wood completely waterproof. Also, I wanted to be able to see the wood grain and it came out looking like a basketball court or a hardwood floor. It's very nice.

IMG00077.jpg

clarkbre said:
When I built the deck for my boat, I finished it with an epoxy resin. I think I used 3 coats and it was around $50 for the 2 parts needed. The finished product was 3 clearcoats that's hard as a rock, leaving the wood completely waterproof. Also, I wanted to be able to see the wood grain and it came out looking like a basketball court or a hardwood floor. It's very nice.

IMG00077.jpg

That epoxy is strong but doesn't that get slippery? Also what do they use on the big fancy off-shore boats that have all the pretty teak wood. I went out on a 48' custom fishing charter once and the whole cabin back wall and interior where exposed wood. This boat was from the 40's or 50's and it looked brand new.

island fever said:
Also what do they use on the big fancy off-shore boats that have all the pretty teak wood. I went out on a 48' custom fishing charter once and the whole cabin back wall and interior where exposed wood. This boat was from the 40's or 50's and it looked brand new.

Helluva lot of maintenance. I'm right there with you on it looking excellent, but that isn't something that they just put on and leave. Just ask anyone with an old Chris Craft, or something of that era. Constant maintenance, or the rig starts to weather extremely quick.

island fever said:
That epoxy is strong but doesn't that get slippery?

It's suprisingly not that slippery. I ended up putting three coats on and waited for it tu cure to see how slick it was. It wasn't slick at all. But, my backup plan if it was slick, was to put another coat on with a fine sand in it (They sell if just for that purpose). I'm not sure what grit it comes out to be but it would help too.

boater1234 said:
My biggest question is will carpet adhesive stick to it like 3m 90 spray?

Not sure. I've never used it and probably won't. I imagine with the correct prep work, it will stick to it just fine.

The problem with Epoxy is degradation by UV radiation. The coating will lose its gloss and then slowly come away from the wood. The prevent this you need to overcoat the epoxy with a UV resistant varnish such as spar.

You will be glad you decided this after a few years of weather. Way to go man..... maybe the wife can find ya some projects to use up that Olympic on. :D

Latest posts