New guy/ new boater needs adv on removing bench seats

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesus freek

Reaction score
I have recently purchased our first boat, a 69 Starcraft V bottom alum. boat with bench seats. It has a 25hp Evinrude and already has a wood floor,with no soft spots. I have 2 kids one is 6 years old the other is 4 years old. The attention span lasts for about an hour on the lake with fishing poles with the kids. To extend mine and my wifes fishing time ,my idea is to remove the front 2 bench seats and keep the one in the rear and put a swival seat on it,then lay down some carpet and in the front mount a pedistal with a seat on top for balance and use the remaining space in the center for the kids, reading, coloring etc. My question is, the bench seats are riveted in the side walls, I am assuming over the water line, how do I remove them and or the rivits without damaging the side wall.thx in advance

Easiest way to remove rivets is to drill them out. Then you can cover the holes. Be aware that the aluminum seats to provide some support from the sides bowing in, so you may want to think about that. Good luck.

Thx for the replys. I too am glad I joined, I stumbled accross it on google search for flooring and customizing a alum. V boat. The boat is in my father in laws barn as the home owner assn. would really frown on it being in the drive way, the garage is too short for me to fit it in and a board member lives across the street from me, I will post some pics tommorow. I guess if it comes down to structural integrety, maybe I could just remove the center bench........ I think I have seen others on here do something similar :?:

Welcome to the site - sounds like you got a great project to work on. I spent a lot of time here just browsing threads, there is a lot of information here usually with pictures. :mrgreen:

Welcome. Love your name. Good advice given so far. Nothing to add, just a welcome.

yours also,I was just reading a thread on a 14' starcraft and removing the benches and you posted on there, I love the avatar!! Sounds like this may be a nightmare if I start into this.

Not that big of a nightmare. My middle seat was out when i got my boat. Between the other two benches and the floor supports, it has plenty of support to keep from collapsing.

I havent had too much time to get over to the in-laws to snap some pics. Long hours at work, and trying to get some kid time in. I am a little worried about the whole analogy of food in a tin pan and grabbing it from the sides and the sides collapsing due to the lack of support. that is the story of my Christmas when I have to remove the turkey from the oven and it almost lands on the floor. "Cat like Reflexes" I cant be having that on the Lake. you did a real nice job on your 14 ft and nice job trying to match the paint from the Chevy to the boat. I shall be trying that myself at the end of the season,my Chevy is green. Well it is way past the bed time, if I dont run long tonite I will swing by the inlaws to snap some pics.

Latest posts