probably a dumb question but......

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwalk721

Reaction score
I have an '05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (longer wheelbase) and was wondering if it would be okay to use to tow a 16' Starcraft aluminum. I was just wondering if any of you have tried it. This is the boat I'm thinking about getting. Good deal??? https://fortwayne.craigslist.org/boa/1842957946.html

Great site by the way!

I'm towing a 16' Starcraft with my Saturn Vue. It tows with no problems, however I haven't had to pull it up the ramp yet but I think it will do just fine.

I think it would be fine. A guy I work with tows a 18' ski boat with his. Have you looked in the owners Manuel for the towing capacity?

Thanks for the replies. The towing capacity is 3500# so I think I'm okay there. I'm more worried about the short wheelbase and the horror stories I've been hearing about towing with regular Wranglers and the boat swaying all over the place. I think I'll be okay though.

Is that a good price for that boat?

as posted be fore, i think your jeep will tow that boat just fine. and as for the price, prices vary from place to place but that SEEMS like a fantastic price assuming everything works right

Jwalk721 said:
Thanks for the replies. The towing capacity is 3500# so I think I'm okay there. I'm more worried about the short wheelbase and the horror stories I've been hearing about towing with regular Wranglers and the boat swaying all over the place. I think I'll be okay though.

Is that a good price for that boat?

The towing capacity of my Vue is the same as your Jeep. As far as the price of the boat, I would say it's an excellent price.

Your Jeep will be fine towing that boat. The wheelbase and drivetrain are very similar to the -2001 Jeep Cherokees. Equipped with the I6 engine and 4x4, you should be able to pull that boat with ease.

The regular Wranglers have a shorter wheelbase. Towing with those is tough not for the going but for the stopping. Under hard braking, the short wheelbase allows the trailer to push the vehicle around more (if that makes sense). It’s a safety issue more than anything. If you look at the drivetrains for the Cherokee and Wrangler Unlimited, it is identical to the regular Wrangler. The only difference being the wheelbase.

good price on boat

it dont take much to tow them tin rigs, your jeep will be fine. alof of the bouncing people get from trailering is from the soft suspension on them rigs

I tow my 18"ss starcraft with a Honda Pilot, no problems at all, I believe the dry wgt of my boat is around 1400 lbs, add motor, fuel , etc and I'm probably towing 2000 - 2100 lbs. If your motor seems like its stressing on a pull out just put the motor in a lower gear, you'll be fine.
Thats a great price on the boat, just make sure you start the motor before you pay him.

good luck

Thanks for all of the replies, this site is great! I'm thinking I will go ahead and get this boat if it's still there come Monday. I'm trying to sell my old CJ5 to get the money for it and have a guy who is supposed to bring the money on Thurs. Of course then I have to work until Monday. This wait just might kill me. Thanks again.

:twisted: You should have NO Problem pulling it. I have the standard Jeep Rubicon and that pulls my 16' Tracker without any problems. Good Luck!!!!

I have a Chevy Blazer (S10 style) and have pulled a 3,500# 6x12 Boy Scout Troop trailer. My Blazer wheel base is 100.5", and max towing on the bumper is 3500#. Pulls it with no trouble. I do pull my litlte 14' tin boat with it and get surprized every time I look in the mirror. Surprizsed to see someone tailgating me that close, then I realize its the trailer. Other than seeing it in the mirrors I dont know its back there.

The link to the boat has been removed. Did you buy it?

I didn't buy it yet because he said he had it sold and I was also looking at a Lund for $1250. The Lund got sold but I noticed today that the original guy with the Starcraft had it re-listed for $1200 :D . I am going to check it out tomorrow and hopefully it will be sitting in my driveway tomorrow night. Right now I'm trying to figure out how big of a drop I need for my ball mount. I have 24" to the top of the hole on the 2" receiver. I'm thinking I need at least an 8" drop. Sound about right?

Jwalk721 said:
I didn't buy it yet because he said he had it sold and I was also looking at a Lund for $1250. The Lund got sold but I noticed today that the original guy with the Starcraft had it re-listed for $1200 :D . I am going to check it out tomorrow and hopefully it will be sitting in my driveway tomorrow night. Right now I'm trying to figure out how big of a drop I need for my ball mount. I have 24" to the top of the hole on the 2" receiver. I'm thinking I need at least an 8" drop. Sound about right?

There is no way of knowing until you look at the trailer and find out how itll sit... All depends on trailer wheel height, weight of the package, and the length of the tongue.

Where did you get the 8" drop idea? Most only need a 2" drop, but I guess I've never measured from the ground to the receiver.

Dont overthink it.

I finally got it yesterday and it towed like a champ. Thanks for all of the help. Here's a pic. I cant figure out how to post it on here.

https://lh5.ggpht.com/_1RTMrrBgbwE/TFiz5Cx498I/AAAAAAAAASE/L_qpcc9H7Fg/s800/115.jpg

a few of the interior.

https://lh5.ggpht.com/_1RTMrrBgbwE/TFiz8MSAUUI/AAAAAAAAASI/7Sv06FriKa0/s800/117.jpg

https://lh5.ggpht.com/_1RTMrrBgbwE/TFi0Ca_3nZI/AAAAAAAAASY/W0Utq_HqL0w/s800/109.jpg

Jwalk721 said:
a few of the interior.

https://lh5.ggpht.com/_1RTMrrBgbwE/TFiz8MSAUUI/AAAAAAAAASI/7Sv06FriKa0/s800/117.jpg

https://lh5.ggpht.com/_1RTMrrBgbwE/TFi0Ca_3nZI/AAAAAAAAASY/W0Utq_HqL0w/s800/109.jpg

Nice! I like the floorplan, clean!

Latest posts