Rebuilt my floors using Advantech!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just rebuilt by 16 ft Fisher Marine and this site was a tremendous resource. Considering all the help I got here from reading and asking a few questions, I felt like I should give something back.

That being said, I don't think there is much information about Advantech or Home Depot's version "Home Advantage."

I did some research before using this stuff and didn't find much but what I did find was positive.

During the first week of June, I decided to take a chance and replace my floors with " Home Advantage."

I purchased 2- 4x8 sheets for around 25.00 each. They were both perfectly square and heavy (about 75# per board.)

They cut easy and did not splitter like plywood can.

I cut them to fit my boat floor and them stapled and glued the carpet on. I did not seal the boards or the cut edges.

If you guys have seen this stuff you know it looks just like OSB.

After putting it in I still had concerns. My biggest concern being that if this stuff starts to break down, I would not know it until it was too late because it is now covered with carpet.

To ease my concerns, I went to the scrape pile and cut a approximately 3x3 inch square of the board. I then took this square and fully submerged it in a jar of water.

After 2 months of being out side in the weather my decks are still straight and solid.

The more impressive news for me is that after 2 months of being fully submerged the test square is still completely intact.

I am not advocating this method over any other, just wanted to share my experience in an effort to give something back to the board.

Thank all you guys for the steelflex, 5200, pop rivet, stainless steel screw and other information!

I work at Lowe's here in Carbondale, IL. Advantech is some awesome stuff. Their rep came in and talked to us about it one day. They took a 2'x2' piece and submerged it in water for 1year. Took it out and it was exactly the same dimensions as when they put it in. Had not swollen 1mm or absorbed any water.

The guarantee on Advantech is 50yrs. I'm not sure what the guarantee is on the Depot's version.

I've got 19/32" exterior in the floor of mine - and didn't stain it because I had to get it ready for a tourney... that's going to be my BIGGEST mistake because my boat has been flooded atleast 3 times in the last 2 weeks from heavy rains... the tarp that was on it last couldn't keep the water out.

I might have to look into this stuff before I extend the front deck.. I really don't want to have it built only to have the middle floor rot out in another 2 years

Loggerhead Mike said:
what part of the cumberland ya on??
used to fish the cumberland right below nashville alot

Mike- I grew up on the Cumberland in Kentucky...Burkesville to be exact.

Home Advantage is made by Advantech for Home Depot.

Rapainted the engine cover and added new decals from Ebay. After that I hit it with a couple of coats of clear.
IMG_0524.jpg

Set the two rear seats up to swivel so we could fish off the back.
IMG_0525.jpg

only storage on this boat is a small hatch under the trolling motor but my goal was to have as much floor space as possible.

I need to get some shots of the whole boat but you guys get the idea.

Thanks again for a great site.
IMG_0529.jpg

Anyone got a link? Can it be painted?

Been looking on Home depot's website and I can't find anything that says home advantage. Could it be under another name?

Someone posted a link, I remember seeing it. There was another thread about this same material like a day earlier. It could be there.

Guys,
I thought I would update you all on the Advantech (or Home Advantage if you buy it at Home Depot) I used in my boat.

This is the piece of scrap I have had submerged in water since June 1, 2010. I inspected it today. There is a little swelling, very little, and it no longer floats but other than that it is just as it was the day I put it in. It is still as hard as a rock and there is no delamination of the fibers. Even after being fully submerged for 4 months this would still be a solid piece of flooring.

I hope this info helps some of you guys.

advantech3.jpg

Advantech1.jpg

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
How thick is it?

It is 3/4 inch from the store. I did not measure the piece that was submerged but the swelling does not look significant even after 4 months under water. I say it swelled because the edges seem to be a raised a little.

cumberlandriver said:
lckstckn2smknbrls said:
How thick is it?

It is 3/4 inch from the store. I did not measure the piece that was submerged but the swelling does not look significant even after 4 months under water. I say it swelled because the edges seem to be a raised a little.

I may got his route when I reinstall my floors.

Is that the red tinted stuff? Kind of like a tounge and groove edges? I think i my have looked at this stuff, but not sure.

I asked at my local HD and Lowe's, but they looked at me like I had three heads. Tough to locate stuff in those conditions.

How does the boat handle all that extra weight? Looks like great stuff but I like my boat to be a lean, mean fishing machine, 75 lbs per boar seems like a lot

Captain Ahab said:
How does the boat handle all that extra weight? Looks like great stuff but I like my boat to be a lean, mean fishing machine, 75 lbs per boar seems like a lot

I have 2 sheets in my boat and it goes as fast as I want it to go.

To me, knowing the floor is going to hold up in a rough environment is worth a little extra weight.

It all depends on your needs.

I don't think it weighs much more than regular plywood.

From Bob Vila.com:
"An easy way to estimate how much a stack of plywood will weigh is to figure about 25 lbs. per 1/4 in. of thickness. For example, one 4x8-ft. sheet of 1/4-in. plywood will weigh about 25 lbs., 1/2-in. about 50 lbs., and 3/4-in. about 75 lbs."

Latest posts