v bottom or flat bottom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shortfish

Reaction score
Hi guys Im fairly new to the site and was wandering which is best for big water i really want a flat bottom but i want something really stable im thinking at least 14' to 15' long by at least 48" bottom length.ive fished out of a twelve foot by 36 inch jonboat but that was definatley not stable enough for me Im pretty clumbsy. and i dont really know anything about a v bottom boat.

Im sure you guys watch the bassmasters and maybe some of youall have fished it. Grand lake is my home lake where KVD won it this year.

when i said im sure some of you guys have fished it i meant the lake not the bassmasters which im sure you guys Knew that. I think i will go with a semi V

KVD is the man! 2006 me and my son.

normal_KVD.jpg

Really big water, go with a semi vee. Full vee at the bow, but tapers down flatter at the stern. If the deadrise at the transom is less than 20 degrees, it is a semi vee. I don't think there are many 14 foot deep vees, and a 15 foot deep vee is a lot of boat. Then, you will be getting into restoration, not conversion, and it ain't cheap.

For the record, I have been in 3 foot breakers in my 12 foot semi vee, and have never had a problem. Depending on the load distribution, a little might come over the bow, but my homebrew trolling motor mount acted as a nice spray rail.

I HAVE A 14' SEMI V.AND IN ROUGH WATER IT OK.THE WIDER THE BOAT THE MORE STABLE.MINE IS AIMOST 6' AT THE TOP AND 4' IN THE BOTTOM.BUT YOU STILL HAVE TO WATCH WHAT YOU DOING AND NO MOVE TO QUICK OR IT WILL DUMP YOU IN THE WATER.A WIDE BOAT FLOATS HIGHER IN THE WATER.BUT THEY STILL RIDE ROUGH IN ROUGH WATER.

id get a mod v jon boat sounds like ill do best of both. but beware in big waves 3 foot rollers are six feet from valley too top thats alot more water than most any v or mod v boat could take. My only other advice is get the mostamount of moter your boat can handle and get a tall transom just my openions as my boat is mostly used shallow but i like the long shaft transom when i am dealing with ski boats and gaurded trips in the sound just got too be careful with other boats wakes and wind swept waves. just my 02 take it for what it is worth

I'm with the group here... if you are going to be on extremely rough water, a V is the way to go.

Latest posts