Honda CR-V pulling a Tin Boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathanielrthomas

Reaction score
Im considering trading my Nissan Titan in for a new Honda CR-V. Im wondering if it will consistently pull a 1448 that weighs around 800lbs for the entire package(boat, motor, and trailer). The factory specs say it can tow up to 1500 lbs with a class 1 hitch, and I know that my boat is well within that range, but is it ok to pull something of that load consistently(2-3 days a week, with the occational 200 mile trip to Alabama). I know that it doesnt void the factory warranty. What do you guys think?

I know this gas mileage is tearin me a new one in the Titan, and I gotta do something.. Thanks fellows

Should be no problem with the Honda CR-V. That is a bigger vehicle than I use to pull my 14' Duracraft and I have no problem, even when recovering my boat from the launch. I use a Mitsubishi Mighty Max pickup. There is no weight in the bed of my truck and it has no problem so I figure the CR-V should be fine.

My neighbor and I have swapped vehicles a few times in the past. I have a GMC Sierra (year 2000) and he has a Honda Element (which I guess is close to a CRV.) My boat is a 16ft Duracraft w/50hp with plenty of weight. (For whatever reason, the tongue is very heavy compared to other boats I have towed. Perhaps the axle is a little too far back?)

Anyway, there is certainly a big difference when towing with with each vehicle. The truck as you would expect tows it with little to no effort. The Element certainly does not struggle towing it, but you know that you have a boat behind you. (Note - I did not pull in/out of water on ramp....just made runs to the shop.) I expect that you will be fine, but if you plan frequent, long hauls a V6 might be nice.

We are also changing vehicles soon. Due to a new baby, we are going to switch our car out with either a small SUV or mini-van. Expecting that I may have some future fishing and camping trips with the boy, I plan to get something with a V6. The gas mileage will suffer a bit, but I think the extra power will be nice to have.

KRS

I have a 16' V bottom Sea Nymph. Im not sure of the weight but as said earlier, I notice that I have something behind me but it pulls just fine. I have an '05 CRV with the same towing capacity.

Thanks guys. I just bought a new 2010 Honda CR-V. Getting a Class III hitch put on today, we'll see how it goes. Hopefully I wont be begging to get my Titan back.

Latest posts