Has anyone thought about doing this

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todpod

Reaction score
I think I have the wife convinced here at some point to buy a boat but it has to be big enough to carry the five of us and our camping gear, but only 3 probably b fishing out of it at one time. I was thinking of finding a used starcraft in he 18' range. Then I got looking around at something like this https://www.trackerboats.com/boat/?boat=3273 . I have access to a 80hp motor and maybe a trailer that will haul it. SeaArk looks like it make really nice 20 footer but is about $1500 more. Any thoughts or suggestions.

Not sure if you have been checking craigslist in your area, a whole boat/motor/trailer may just pop up before spending $3999 +tax on just the boat. I thought about buying just the boat new for about $2300 +tax and getting a trailer and motor separate, but within a week or so, craigslist came through with the perfect package for me.

But that is a very nice 20' tin in the link you provided. :D If money isn't an issue then just get what you want.

I do realize that it only supports 60 hp a few I have checked out have a dual rating for tiller and console such as this SeaArk https://www.seaarkboats.com/boat.php?measure=Standard&boat=2072MV. Its going to come down to $$. I have been checking out craigs list I haven't seen any bigger jons mostly Vs which may end up happening. I think it would be really cool to build a boat to what i want. Even thought about running a tiller for the first season or too, Dad has a 10hp johnson that he doesn't have a boat for anymore and then work my way up to the 80hp merc. I would really like a 115 in-line six merc, because i think they are cool looking but oh well.

I'd go with the grizzly if you are looking to put 5 people on it. That 10hp wouldn't do much for you with all those people and gear. Maybe sell or trade that 80hp for a 60 as to not jump the rating.