rhino lining

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shortfish

Reaction score
Will rhino lining your boat stop leaking or prevent it? Or what is the best way to fix a leak? Do any of you have bilge pumps on your boat?

I have two bilge pumps on my Mako - one with an auto feature and one that is a manual. On my tin boat (MirroCraft) I do not - but will probably install one this year.

Not a bad idea for any boat where you do not have ready access to the bilge area directly.

I fished with a guy that used rhino lining in his bass boat instead of replacing the carpet. it was a different look for sure but it made the cleaning up easy.

I also have 2 bilge pumps in my boat and for the price of them and the ease of installation why not add one it could save a life in an emergency

Wayne

I've read about people using Rhino lining to seal around rivets from the inside. But it's not for "patching" persay. If you have a dent or tear that's leaking you may need some welding to patch it I think. If it's some seepage around the rivets then maybe try to hammer the rivets to tighten the joint and Rhino. Again, I have no experience with this but I've been researching since I plan to get a jon soon.

I know ive been asking allot of questions but i am brand new to jon boats i have an old borrowed ten footer that is riveted and its very old but i dont want to spend any money on it because its no where near big enough and its not mine its my dads buddys. So the question im asking if you were buying a new boat would you buy an all welded one or riveted. I want something that will last along time and not get to beat up around the seems.

As far as the Rhino lining for leaks, it is definitely a no. I have known way too many people who did that, and weren't at all happy with it. On a deck it is fine, but for leaks, you either need to a) fix the rivets, or b) use Gluv-it.

As far as a new boat goes, it is either or. You are buying brand quality more than anything else. You won't find me buying a new tracker, triton, or G3 aluminum, but that is due to the quality of the boat in my opinion, not the design. But, that is personal preference - there are many people who LOVE these boats. Rivets or welds. It really doesn't matter as much as some would think. There are many riveted boats that are of much better quality than certain welded, and vica versa.

shortfish said:
I know ive been asking allot of questions but i am brand new to jon boats i have an old borrowed ten footer that is riveted and its very old but i dont want to spend any money on it because its no where near big enough and its not mine its my dads buddys. So the question im asking if you were buying a new boat would you buy an all welded one or riveted. I want something that will last along time and not get to beat up around the seems.

I'm glad we can answer your questions, keep them coming, I'm learning new things everyday myself.

Riveted vs welded is tough, I dont have enough knowledge to be able to give you a good opinion.

I have an all welded Tracker ProTeam 190TX and I really like it. There were some minor issues with fit and trim but were all covered by warranty. Latest problem was a motor issue which was a Merc problem, not Tracker. I wasn't going to buy a Tracker because of all the "Old School" mentality that they are noisy and leak a lot. Not very noisy at all(as compared to my Father-in-Law's Lowe jon boat) and no leaks. Of course my boat is less than a year old too. I personally believe that a welded hull will last longer than a rivited one.

As far as Rhino-lining, I'd not do it mostly because of the weight addition. Not sure how much it would add, but it doesn't seem like it would be minimal if you were doing a majority of the inside hull. Personally, I chose all-welded for my rigs. Same as Andy, my '05 Tracker is a quiet, dry ride. I've had no problems with leaks or fit & finish. And Andy has it right about the "old school" mentality. Tracker is putting out some nice aluminum rigs. As with anything man-made, even top of the line automobiles, occasionally there will be a lemon that comes off the assembly line. It's all about personal preference, and what type of fishing you'll be doing and the type of water you'll be boating on. :wink:

id go with welded too. my war eagle is welded and its nice and solid and im not worried about going aground and popping a rivet or 10.

I wouldn't be worried about the added weight of rhino lining, especially if you are trailering. For one, it will only add the weight of a can of paint, since that's basically what it is...thick rubbery paint with suspended rubber bits. Also, the weight that would be added would be evenly distributed across a very thin layer throughtout the boat. As for sealing any leaks, I wouldn't recommend it.

Latest posts