Transom Saver?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaitCaster

Reaction score
My trailer came with a transom saver, but it was custom made for the previous boat and doesn't work with mine. My question is whether a transom save is really necessary - I have an 18hp motor. I have noticed the motor bouncing around quite a bit on gravel roads and potholes on paved roads and it makes me wince when I see it. Do I need a transom saver?

Can you tow with the motor in the down position? If so, then no, you don't need one. If you have to tilt it up, you do need one.

bassboy1 said:
Can you tow with the motor in the down position? If so, then no, you don't need one. If you have to tilt it up, you do need one.

I tow with it in the down position. I would rather not spend the money on one if I don't need it.

I don't use one,tow in the down position.
Not saying it's good,kinda thinking of getting one myself...30hp.

Yeah I was wondering the same thing... I adjusted my trailer so I can use one now, but I was wondering how necessary it would be with like a 45 HP Engine. Mine moves back and forth a lot from side to side, So I thought of getting one just to keep it straight.

With my 18hp Nissan I run with it in the down postion and with the Adjustable Steering Friction Setting-locked this keeps it from moving. If you got a lot of play then throwing a couple of bunge cords or a strap on this will solve your problem. Double check that the motor's tight on the transom after running the rough roads they have a way of shaking the motor loose.

If you tow with your motor down and it is still bouncing while going down the road I think you need a new transom.....not a transom saver. :wink:

huntinfool said:
If you tow with your motor down and it is still bouncing while going down the road I think you need a new transom.....not a transom saver. :wink:

Not necessarily. I believe they are speaking of the motor bouncing as in tilting up and down, as most tilt locks have a bit of slop in them, if they even exist (they are long gone on many older motors). The engine will also flop side to side, too.

bassboy1 said:
huntinfool said:

Not necessarily. I believe they are speaking of the motor bouncing as in tilting up and down, as most tilt locks have a bit of slop in them, if they even exist (they are long gone on many older motors). The engine will also flop side to side, too.

True. Never can tell what people mean when they describe a problem on the internet.

Latest posts